clavette corps de fiche/ cloche de poussée/ simbleau corps d'embase

18:17 Aug 3, 2000
French to English translations [PRO]
French term or phrase: clavette corps de fiche/ cloche de poussée/ simbleau corps d'embase
Engineering terms

Summary of answers provided
na>> see below <<



22 hrs
>> see below <<

Re "clavette corps de fiche": A "corps de fiche" is a plug body, or (more rarely) a hinge. A "clavette" is a wedge, key, or pin. The phrase "clavette corps de fiche" appears to be yet another of those troublesome French elliptical phrases that omit the connective preposition and article. It would be so much easier for us translators if, for instance, this term were written "clavette d'un corps de fiche" or "clavette pour un corps de fiche"! However, as it is, some of the possible equivalents would be "plug-body key," or possibly "plug-body pin" [that is, a key or pin that is part of the body of a plug], "hinge-body pin," or simply "hinge pin."

For "cloche de poussée": "cloche" can refer to a hood, insulator, damper, bell, plunger, or crown, and "poussée" is "pressure" or "thrust". So, in decreasing order of frequency of the individual terms, and of plausibility:, we have: "pressure hood," "pressure insulator," and "thrust damper" as three of the likeliest English terms. Of course, if the French text contains a misspelling, and "poussée" were actually "poussière," then "cloche de poussière" would be "anti-dust hood" or just "dust hood."

Re "simbleau corps d'embase":
An "embase" is a base, footing, or seat; or, in electrical terminology, a fixed connector. (An "embase femelle" is an outlet, outlet box, receptacle, or plug receptacle.) Thus, "corps d'embase" could well be the body of a connector or an outlet box, for example. The problem comes with the addition of "simbleau," which is a string or cord used in drawing circles, or a centering bridge (used in finding the center of a core or hole). The combination of these terms sounds fairly unlikely; is it possible that the French text is actually referring to them individually, as "simbleau" and, unrelated, "corps d'embase"?

PS -- Analogously, could "clavette" and " corps de fiche" be separate items? That would make the translation somewhat easier...!

United States
Local time: 23:10
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 953
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search