crampons à papillon

17:25 Aug 5, 2000
French to English translations [PRO]
French term or phrase: crampons à papillon
I have found the term "crampon" to mean "(iron) cramp or clamp" but have so far been unable the term "crampons à papillon". I expect they are "butterfly-shaped" and can imagine what they look like but I'd be very grateful to anyone who may have found a picture and translation.

Summary of answers provided
nabutterfly clamp / bulldog plate
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
nabutterfly clamp



8 hrs
butterfly clamp

It is difficult to be absolutely sure without more of a context but if you check out the websites below you can draw your own conclusions.

United States
Local time: 01:47
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 209
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

11 hrs
butterfly clamp / bulldog plate

Dictionnaire "Architecture & Batiment " (Hasol , Le Moniteur). Without knowing whether it is a plate or a clamp the choice remains fairly open. When I think of bulldog clips used to hold papers together, the term bulldog plate may well match up as the form viewed from the side is descriptive. Butterfly clamp sounds suspiciously close to the French. Hope this helps you decide.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Local time: 07:47
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 4526
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search