10:30 Jul 27, 2018
French to English translations [PRO]
Art/Literary - Art, Arts & Crafts, Painting / Description of painting
French term or phrase: Cuvette
Hello all.
I'm translating a series of texts for an art gallery, not sure what cuvette refers to in the following, something to do with the etching process perhaps?
Antonio Visentini, « Du Palazzo Corner en direction de San Vitale », eau-forte sur vélin, 351 x 516 mm, feuille; 272 x 430 mm, cuvette, in Recueil des Urbis Venetarium Prospectus Celebriores, 1742, planche 10.
Grateful for any help!
Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:29

Summary of reference entries provided
plate mark on the recto of the paper
Roy vd Heijden
Helen Shiner


Reference comments

18 mins peer agreement (net): +2
Reference: plate mark on the recto of the paper

Reference information:
Coup de planche ou cuvette
" Empreinte en creux laissée par le cuivre dans le papier lors de son passage sous presse. "

"The pressure of an intaglio plate on the paper when pulled through the press results in the formation of a plate mark. In French, a distinction is made between the plate mark on the recto of the paper (“cuvette”) and that on the verso (“foulage”).

Note added at 25 mins (2018-07-27 10:55:40 GMT)

plate mark / cuvette:

Roy vd Heijden
Native speaker of: Native in DutchDutch
Note to reference poster
Asker: Thanks to both!

Peer comments on this reference comment (and responses from the reference poster)
agree  Helen Shiner: I was about to post this term as an answer then saw you had posted it as a reference shortly after mine. Please do post it.
7 mins
agree  Kevin Oheix:
10 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

14 mins
Reference: Cuvette

Reference information:
Here is a definition of the term in a print context:

Note added at 48 mins (2018-07-27 11:19:08 GMT)

This glossary confirms ‘cuvette’ as ‘plate mark’:ées-français-anglais.html

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: English
PRO pts in category: 316
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search