KudoZ home » French to English » Construction / Civil Engineering

barrette autoroutiere


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
15:13 Feb 22, 2008
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Other

French to English translations [PRO]
Marketing - Construction / Civil Engineering / road markings
French term or phrase: barrette autoroutiere
I've done very extensive research on this term and cannot find it anywhere. I did discover that "barrette" is used in English with reference to airport runways; it's a row of ground approach lights that looks to the pilot like a solid bar of light. So I thought that "barrette" could be the strip of reflective pavement markings for guiding drivers when it's dark, foggy, raining, etc. But I can't find an exact equivalent (if there is one). Here's the context:

Enduits à froid: ces produits, fortement technologiques, sont utilisés pour des travaux spécifiques en zone urbaine ou sur les routes à trafic dense, en particulier pour les marquages visibles par temps de pluie (passages piétons, flèches…) ou les "barrettes autoroutières".

Thanks very much!
Karen Tucker
United States
Local time: 09:03

Summary of answers provided
4rumble stripxxxBourth
2reflective strips / reflective road markings
Jonathan MacKerron
Gad Kohenov
2 -1fluorescent plots or markings

Discussion entries: 1



54 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 2/5Answerer confidence 2/5
reflective strips / reflective road markings

clouple of guesses, with not a few googles to back them up

Note added at 55 mins (2008-02-22 16:09:09 GMT)

"reflective highway markings" perhaps more apropos

Jonathan MacKerron
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 41
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

3 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 2/5Answerer confidence 2/5 peer agreement (net): -1
fluorescent plots or markings

think could do fine :)

Note added at 58 mins (2008-02-22 16:11:42 GMT)

ooops Tony is right, my mistake!!!

Local time: 15:03
Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench, Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 24

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
disagree  Tony M: Sorry, CJ, but no! for one thing 'plots' doesn't mean the same in EN, and also, none of these roadmarkings are actually fluorescent — at best, they are retro-reflective.
5 mins
  -> ok Tony, no harme done, I do accept your verdict fully!!!:)
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 hr   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
rumble strip

Despite what is said in the Wiki text below, these are not usually reflective since they work by noise.

Dans le domaine du marquage routier, on désigne par BARRETTE SONORE un procédé de marquage à protubérances qui émet un bruit perceptible par l’usager lorsqu’il roule dessus et lui indique qu’il sort de son couloir de roulement [ ... ]
Les barrettes sonores sont réalisées à partir D'ENDUIT A FROID,

Plastics were introduced in the late 1960s and early 1970s.[citation needed] Commonly referred to as "tape" or "COLD PLASTIC," [enduit à froid] this product is heavy-grade material with [not necessarily, IMO] reflective beads embedded in the plastic. [ ... ]
Similar to Bott's dots, "RUMBLE STRIPS" are commonly used for the same purpose. A rumble strip is a simple trough (typically 1 cm deep and 10 cm wide) that is ground out of the asphalt or concrete in a perpendicular line across a roadway or shoulder. Usually closely grouped together, five or 10 of these troughs create a loud vibration when driven over that will alert a driver to various upcoming hazards. This type of rumble strip may warn a driver approaching a stop sign in a rural area. ANOTHER FORM OF THE RUMBLE STRIP is CONTINUOUSLY PLACED ON THE SHOULDER OF A HIGHWAY to wake drivers who may fall asleep. The rumble strips on the shoulder of the road can wake the weary driver before they drive into the ditch

Local time: 15:03
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 4135
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 hr   confidence: Answerer confidence 2/5Answerer confidence 2/5

The Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique from Quebec has many types of barrettes none called autoroutiere. It has a specific name for each barrette autoroutire. How do we know which one? wing-bar is indeed for airports.

Note added at 2 days21 hrs (2008-02-25 12:50:07 GMT)

I found somewhere that barrette is used in English too with the same meaning as in French (little bar).

Gad Kohenov
Local time: 16:03
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench, Native in HebrewHebrew
PRO pts in category: 64
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search