KudoZ home » French to English » Construction / Civil Engineering

système platine/contre-platine

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
16:32 Mar 5, 2004
French to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Construction / Civil Engineering / concrete
French term or phrase: système platine/contre-platine
(à propos de remplacer un équipment fixé dans du béton)

Si les ancrages existants n'ont pu être conservés, le fournisseur propose un système platine/contre-platine.

I know they are plates on either side of a column, for example, and held together with dowell screws (I think).
Local time: 14:26

Summary of answers provided
5base plate/foundation plate



46 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5
base plate/foundation plate

For holding down steel stanchions, the bottom of the stanchion is welded to a steel plate with a number of bolt holes in it. This is known as the base plate. Usually threaded rods are cast into the concrete foundation at appropriate locations so that the base plate and stanchion can be fitted over them and nuts screwed on.

Since this requires some skill in positioning the rods, an easier alternative is to cast a (predrilled)matching foundation plate (with anchoring device beneath) into the concrete foundation instead. It may have threaded sockets welded to it, into which bolts may be screwed once the base plate has been placed over it, or upwards pointing threaded rods may be welded to it. Possibly, even, it may have no thread system and simply be welded to the base plate subsequently.

Note added at 7 days (2004-03-13 03:57:01 GMT)

If \"base plate\" is not the term, then I must have horribly misunderstood something! I\'m looking at a book called \"Holding down systems for steel stanchions\" published by the Concrete Society, the British Constructional Steelwork Association, and the Constructional Steel Research and Development Organisation, and it is full of pictures and diagrams of the feet of stanchions (columns, or your \"vertical beams\" (beams tend to be horizontal)) with, clearly labeled, the \"base plate\", i.e. the steel plate welded to the stanchion, and with holes in it for holding the stanchion down to the foundation (floor, footing, etc.), with text saying:

<<Column base plates
Most base plates are presently designed on the assumption tha tthe supporting pressure will be uniform or linear, and will be applied over the whole area of the plate .... In some cases this can have an important effect on the performance of the base plate ...>>

Local time: 14:26
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 4135
Grading comment
My sources tell me base plate is not correct. I'm looking for an anchoring system for vertical beam, not the foundation. Thanks anyway for the useful response.
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)
The asker has declined this answer
Comment: My sources tell me base plate is not correct. I'm looking for an anchoring system for vertical beam, not the foundation. Thanks anyway for the useful response.

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search