KudoZ home » French to English » Education / Pedagogy

deuxième licence


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
02:19 Sep 14, 2007
French to English translations [Non-PRO]
Education / Pedagogy / Economics
French term or phrase: deuxième licence
This is a diploma certifying the person passed exams of the "deuxième licence" in economics in Belgium. Is this a bachelor's degree or a master's degree?

Summary of answers provided
4second licentiateVandor
3second year degree courseAlain Pommet



4 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
second year degree course

For a bachelor's degree.

I think this is just a way of saying 'deuxième année de licence'.

I believe that in Belgium as in France this was previously a recognised level / diploma but that since the Bologna reforms this is no longer the case.



Transitional Bachelor's Degree
First three-year degree (180 credits) giving direct access to the Master degree (replaces the former candidatures).


Alain Pommet
Local time: 11:42
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 39
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

9 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
second licentiate

I think this is the second degree (licentiate) one has obtained. If someone has obtained an undergradute or more precisely a "licentiate" previously, he can enroll for a second degree which can be accomplished in a shorter period since it presumes certain skills were already aquired during the first one. There are in general separate enrollment quotas for such candidates and is generally not for free ,the state subsidizing only the first licentiate. If for instance the first licentiate took normally 4 years, this second would take usually 2. In some countries in Europe this is called the second diploma or the second degree ,in others a masters, but it is not the same as a degree composed of a major and a minor (field of specialisation). Eventually can be a combined or joint program between two universities which offers two degrees-two licenses in this case. So the second licentiate I think is the proper answer

Note added at 9 hrs (2007-09-14 11:47:19 GMT)

A licentiate is/was 4 years in general up to 5 for engineering and 6 for medical sciences,so it is a "higher" degree than a bachelors. It can be eventually the equivalent of a bachelor+ a 1 year Masters, but this is just a mecanic correspondence. It is certainly less than a"new " or American type of Masters which presumes 3+2 =5 years of university education.For instance in Hungary it is called like Supplemental fundamental education and it takes usually 2 years,while in Romania which has adopted traditionally the French educational system and the Belgian constitution it is called the same "second licentiate"

Local time: 11:42
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in HungarianHungarian, Native in RomanianRomanian
PRO pts in category: 4
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Voters for reclassification
PRO / non-PRO
PRO (1): Vandor

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search