KudoZ home » French to English » Engineering (general)


English translation: edge


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
French term or phrase:arrête
English translation:edge
Entered by: jyxxer
- Contribute to this entry
- Include in personal glossary

23:18 Nov 1, 2007
French to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Engineering (general) / compressed blocks of wood agglomerate
French term or phrase: arrête
Les ailes supérieures sont plus courtes, elles supportent des blocs réalisant un garnissage ou hourdis 84 qui comportent des rainures 86 réalisées sur une arrête de deux faces latérales opposées et recevant ces demi poutrelles 82 pour réaliser un dessous du plancher 80 plat.
Local time: 21:31
I think there's a spelling mistake here. Shouldn't it read 'arête'
Selected response from:

Local time: 21:31
Grading comment
4 KudoZ points were awarded for this answer


Summary of answers provided
3 +2edge

Discussion entries: 1



5 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5 peer agreement (net): +2

I think there's a spelling mistake here. Shouldn't it read 'arête'

Local time: 21:31
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench
PRO pts in category: 4

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Catherine CHAUVIN: Oui, d'accord avec edge. Et arête avec un seul t. :-)
43 mins

agree  Charles Hawtrey: Or 'sharp edge'. (Can also mean fishbone, but not here!)
7 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

8 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 2/5Answerer confidence 2/5

Strictly speaking, an arête is the edge between two faces: a brick, for example, has 6 faces and 12 arrises. That is confidence level "Highest - I am sure".

However, I can't see an arête being grooved, since, like a line, it is theoretically of zero width, and in practice much too narrow to be grooved. Unless they mean the "arris" has been chamfered (chamfer between two adjacent faces), or, as above, they are misusing "arête" to mean "chant", the (narrow) edge between two OPPOSITE faces. Thus, a plank has two main faces and four "chants", which could indeed be grooved, just as "tongue-and-groove" boarding is grooved (and tongued).

"deux faces OPPOSéES" suggests they do indeed mean "edge/chant", but "arête" is the wrong word for that.

cf chant (parfois écrit "champ") - Face étroite et longue d'un élément équarri, d'une pierre, d'une brique, d'une planche. Syn. "tranche". GB: edge

Note added at 8 hrs (2007-11-02 08:03:46 GMT)

That settles it. Have just looked at your "hourdis" question, and everything slots into place, just like these floor blocks onto the steel beams!

It is indeed the edges (chants, tranches - not arêtes) of the blocs/hourdis that are grooved.

Local time: 11:31
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 1054
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search