KudoZ home » French to English » Law/Patents

2eme cycle


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
13:15 Nov 18, 2001
French to English translations [Non-PRO]
French term or phrase: 2eme cycle
university studies -2eme cycle

Summary of answers provided
4the 3rd through 5th years of university study.xxxAbu Amaal
5 -1Master's degree studies/graduate studiesCarole Muller
4Final HonoursDaphne b



3 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
Final Honours

From the same source as before..

    Collins/Robert English-French dictionary
Daphne b
Local time: 00:14
Native speaker of: Native in GreekGreek
PRO pts in pair: 85

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Yannick MARCHEGAY
3 mins

disagree  Carole Muller: Sorry, disagree because the term is not "operational", there is a current definition in use. See:www.cicic.ca/pubs/guide-fr.stm look for "diploma" and French univ.that published a comparison for foreign students www.univ-littoral.fr/rela-int/ae_syst.htm
22 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 hr   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5 peer agreement (net): -1
Master's degree studies/graduate studies

2eme cycle is the course of studies starting after the Bachelor's degree and leading to a master's degree.

It is internationalle the equivalent of a master's degreee and is translated as such.

1 er cycle: is the Bachelor's degreee(also called license it is three years studies or it is called DEUG if it is a course of two years studies. The DEUG can be followed by the 3rd year leading to the license)

2eme cycle is : Master´s degreee. Abbreviated as M.Sc or M.A. depending on whether the studies are scientific or are humanitarian/social sciences. In some countries Economics are for instance a M.Sc study (heavily loaded with maths) and in other countries it is an M.A. (more management oriented and "softer"), but it is always "Maitrise" in French regardless of the topic.

2eme cycle is also called Maitrise in French and the holder is for instance entitled to lecturing as Maitre de conférences.

3eme cycle are postgraduate stidues leading to the equivalent of a PhD or a doctorate (there is a distinction as to the extent of the research)

What might be confusing, is that the above is always the case for universities (especially since the ERASMUS programme and the efforst to establish standards across the EU countries for calling the same diplomas the same thing) BUT certain private schools typically those offering private master's degrees have a system of their own and their labelling varies from school to school.

AND YET: CHECK OUT the two references here below, one is Canadian (a military school) the other is a French university. They reflect what I described above and both use the same terms, namely 2 eme cycle= master's degree

Native French speaker (translator/interp) and PhD who studied in several EU countries and encountered all of the administrative fuss having the curriculum transferred and having the diplomas "translated"

    www.ensat.fr/enseigne/master.htm See admission conditions at the bottom
    Reference: http://www.rmc.ca/academic/continuing/fmamsc.html
Carole Muller
Local time: 00:14
PRO pts in pair: 75

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
disagree  mckinnc: 2e cycle is typically 3rd to 4th year, therefore not like after Bachelor's
19 hrs
  -> 2 eme cycle is officially equivalent to a master's. Check out the following references :http://www.univ-littoral.fr/rela-int/ae_syst.htm : a clear comparison is done, look for "2eme cycle", and http://www.cicic.ca/pubs/guide-fr.stm :look for diploma
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

5 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
the 3rd through 5th years of university study.

There are variations.

In this country we call these junior, senior, and 1st year graduate.

But of course the systems are different and a year-by-year comparison is meaningless. Their first cycle is normally 2 years, and for us normally 4.

xxxAbu Amaal
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 51

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  Carole Muller: look at http://www.univ-littoral.fr/rela-int/ae_syst.htm, where this French university published a cross-country comparison for defining equivalent diplomas and check the Canadian site www.cicic.ca/pubs/guide-fr.stm
16 hrs
  -> 1st reference goes over the same ground, usefully. 2nd deals with Canada, not particularly helpful
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search