KudoZ home » French to English » Ships, Sailing, Maritime



Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
20:54 Feb 10, 2007
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

French to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Ships, Sailing, Maritime / yacht construction
French term or phrase: flipoter
Hi everyone. This concerns a beautifully restored classic yacht whose topside seams have had strips of wood let into them: Les coutures ont ensuite été flipotées jusqu’à la flottaison. Is there an English verb to describe this job?
Graham macLachlan
Local time: 21:36

Summary of answers provided
4filling-in the seams
3 +1to insert sealing shims
Francis MARC
3patched/repaired with dutchmenxxxBourth
3to spile / spilingblavatsky

Discussion entries: 2



32 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
filling-in the seams

PESA 1911
... la belle laque des œuvres mortes était craquelée à toutes les coutures, J'ai décidé de faire flipoter le bordé (obturer les coutures à l'aide de petites ...
pesa.1911.free.fr/francais/restauration_3.htm - 5k - Résultat complémentaire -

Run a line of epoxy, filling all of the seams. 18 Hours ... If you work cleanly while building your boat, wiping up drips or sags while they're still wet, ...
www.pygmyboats.com/Construction.htm - 29k -

Local time: 21:36
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish, Native in FrenchFrench
PRO pts in category: 170
Notes to answerer
Asker: thanks

Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

38 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5 peer agreement (net): +1
to insert sealing shims

flipot: petite pièce de bois employée pour dissimuler une fente accidentelle dans un ouvrage en bois (Larousse)

je ne sais pas s'il existe un verbe anglais spécifique

Francis MARC
Local time: 22:36
Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench
PRO pts in category: 24
Notes to answerer
Asker: thanks

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Miranda Joubioux: I'd opt for "shim" insertion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shim
1 day 12 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

4 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
flipoter / flipotées
to spile / spiling

I removed an old plank, and built a truss sytem to spile in a new plank....

Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
Notes to answerer
Asker: the verb spile means to measure the space into which a plank is to be fitted

Asker: thanks

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  Miranda Joubioux: I don't think that a spile would be the correct shape "A stake or piece of wood formed like the frustrum of a cone"
1 day 8 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

20 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
patched/repaired with dutchmen

IN construction, as opposed to boatbuilding, where I have encountered "flipot", it refers to repair of rot or otherwise damaged wood by cutting out the damage and inserting a new piece, filling in cracks, etc.

It's call a dutchman. Not a flying one.

However, I wonder in your case if it does not refer to what you see on some expensive wooden boats where the main planks of the deck or hull are a dark or light colour, and between them, in the joints, is inlaid a thin strip of darker or lighter wood. Not being a repair technique but purely a matter of aesthetics, it might have another name.

From my notes:
Flipot Dutchman (piece of wood inserted in crack, poorly made joint, etc.) Forbes, Web, Dicobat

Dutchman - Wooden block or wedge used to fill the void in a badly made butt or joint; a graving piece or repairing patch in a deck; filler; shim; short plank

graving piece A piece of wood that is inserted into the hull of a boat to replace existing, decaying wood.

Flipot Morceau de bois long et mince, de section triangulaire et d'épaisseur variable, débité dans un bois bien de fil, et servant à reboucher les gerces des grosses pièces destinées à demeurer apparentes ou à être peintes
www.mandragore2.net/dico/charpente2/menuiserie.php?page=f -

Flipot : (fli-po), n. m. Terme de menuiserie. Petite pièce rapportée pour couvrir un défaut dans quelque ouvrage

Local time: 21:36
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 142
Notes to answerer
Asker: these pieces of wood are let into the seams on the side of the ship above the waterline, not the deck as far as I know, the purpose is to give a smoother finish than if the seams were caulked.

Asker: thanks

Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search