KudoZ home » French to English » Tech/Engineering

butee basse

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
11:25 Aug 22, 2002
French to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering / Trains/trams
French term or phrase: butee basse
"Les suspensions sont en butee basse ce qui interdit l'inclinaison caisse"
and the second one is

"les deplacements verticaux se superposent aux deports geometriques dus au
passage en raccordement de profil"
Anthony Gething
Local time: 19:20

Summary of answers provided
5down stop
Lise Boismenu, B.Sc.
3it is a down stop suspension preventing the body tilting
Francis MARC
2bump stop
Chris Collins
1buffer stop OR spring plank
Yolanda Broad



11 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5
down stop


1. Domaine(s)
– Air Transport

– Transport aérien

down stop Source butée basse Source
OBS – timonerie de commande Source

© Ministre des Travaux publics et Services gouvernementaux Canada

Lise Boismenu, B.Sc.
Local time: 14:20
Native speaker of: French
PRO pts in pair: 328
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

47 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
it is a down stop suspension preventing the body tilting

the vertical moves add themselves with the geometric offsets due to the transition to profile hookup

Francis MARC
Local time: 21:20
Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench
PRO pts in pair: 6500
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

2 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 2/5Answerer confidence 2/5
bump stop

Not sure about trains/trams, but that's what it would be on a car!


Chris Collins
Local time: 19:20
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 223
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

4 days   confidence: Answerer confidence 1/5Answerer confidence 1/5
buffer stop OR spring plank

I can't figure out whether your "en butée basse" is a part of the train car, or something outside the car, that would keep its suspension on an even keel when stopping. I've looked for I've "suspension en butée" and can't find any such animal on Google! I followed up on both previous answers, "down stop" and "bumper stop," relating to trains and/or trams, and both terms, while applicable to trains, appear to refer to external items:

1. "Bump stop"
"BUFFER STOP Structure at the end of a track to prevent vehicles proceeding off the end of the line. Sometimes these are cushioned by hydraulic rams or protected by emergency braking devices such as a sand trap. In the US known as a ‘bump stop'." http://www.trainweb.org/railwaytechnical/newglos.html
Note that "buffer stop" would be the UK term. And I do get a fair number of hits on Google for that term. See:

2. "Down stop" (And I found a site with an actual photo!) Just use your search function to find the term (about ½ down the page).


And thanks for asking this question: Woburn is a place I actually used to travel through as a child, back when the locomotives pulling the trains were steam-powered! I hadn't thought about those stations in a long, long time! It's nice to have a term to attach to that particular part of the railway landscape.

Note: Termium gives

Subject Field
Water Transport
up stop
butée haute
OBS - 72CFA.
OBS - 20 MYS. timonerie de commande, 106dt 21.05.74
Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada


Note that the (really wonderful!) GLOSSARY OF MODERN RAILWAY TERMINOLOGY gives the following for suspensions. If you really need a term for a part of a railcar suspension, you'll find it here. I wonder, in particular, whether "spring plank" (part of the secondary suspension) might not be the term you are looking for.

On a railway bogie, the flexible interface between the vehicle axle and the bogie frame. It can consist of steel leaf or coils springs or rubber blocks.

The flexible interface between the vehicle body and its bogies. Like primary suspension, it can be steel or rubber and is now, in addition, often composed of an air cushion system employing rubber bags or air bags.
Originally, steel springs were used. In UK practice, they were mounted on a transverse beam known as a spring plank. Guides and shock absorbers were strategically placed to ensure stability. Such systems can still often be seen today and there are many variations on the theme.

    Reference: http://www.termium.com
    Google searches
Yolanda Broad
United States
Local time: 14:20
Native speaker of: English
PRO pts in pair: 1551
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search