18:25 Dec 22, 2010
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

German to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Agriculture / orchard management, pruning
German term or phrase: Saftwaage
Es werden dann drei im Winkel von etwa 45 Grad von der Mittelachse ausgehenden Triebe als Seitenleitäste ausgewählt und auf einer Ebene mit dem schwächsten dieser drei Triebe, der Saftwaage, angeschnitten.

I know that they're talking about selecting and pruning scaffold limbs back to the level of the weakest limb on a young fruit (apple) tree, even seen pictures of a person holding a spirit level up to a young tree to demonstrate how this is done/what the branches should look like after pruning, but I don't know what the specific, one word English equivalent to "Saftwaage" is, or even if there is one. TIA for any help.
John Speese
United States
Local time: 14:34

Summary of answers provided
Ramey Rieger
3 -2water sprout
Anna Smith
Summary of reference entries provided
Theorie der Saftwaage

Discussion entries: 2



46 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5 peer agreement (net): -2
water sprout

"We prune plants to encourage more growth, but not all growth is welcome. Suckers (branches growing from the base of the tree), whorls (branches that grow from and encircle another branch) and water sprouts (thin branches that usually grow straight upright) are never going to bear fruit. "
(ref 1)

"In many cases, however, it is im-
possible to rejuvenate weak branches ; but suck-
ers or watersprouts may be developed, and these
may form a new head. "
(ref 2)

"water sprout
a fast-growing sprout arising from the base, the trunk, or a main limb of a tree or shrub, often with leaves different from those of adult parts of the same plant"

Anna Smith
Local time: 20:34
Native speaker of: Native in SwedishSwedish

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
disagree  Wendy Streitparth: IMO water sprouts are Wassersprösse. Sorry, didn't see discussion entry.
1 hr
  -> Yes, John Speese has pointed it out in the discussion.

disagree  Cetacea: A water sprout is a "Wasserschoß" in German.
1 hr
  -> Yes, see above.
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

15 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5


I think this is it. Merry Christmas!

Ramey Rieger
Local time: 20:34
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 36
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Reference comments

1 hr
Reference: Theorie der Saftwaage

Reference information:
"Saftwaage" isn't a kind of sprout or branch, but a principle of pruning trees. For an illustration, look at the second link. In this particular phrase, "Saftwaage" doesn't refer to "Triebe", but to "Ebene".

Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in category: 48
Note to reference poster
Asker: That's exactly what I thought it meant (i.e., a principle of pruning trees), but what is it called in English? In other words, is there a single word that expresses it in English? Or is "level pruning of the scaffold branches" or something to that effect the only solution?

Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search