Werkzeug- und Formenbau

17:09 Feb 12, 2018
German to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Manufacturing
German term or phrase: Werkzeug- und Formenbau
I am finding most sources define this term as "tool and mo(u)ld making", however, I am occasionally seeing "die" for "Formenbau". The text is a general article describing historical developments in the industry. I don't feel like these two terms are interchangeable, but I don't have any clear-cut guidelines as to why. I did find this: "Moulds tend to be used to produce products that need to be hollow in the middle, whereas dies are used to stamp solid products out of media such as steel."

I guess I could go with: "tool and die/mould making" to cover all the bases? Thanks for any help.
Ryan Saxon Montcalm
United States
Local time: 10:00

Discussion entries: 9


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search