10:45 Dec 14, 2000
German to English translations [Non-PRO]
German term or phrase: >
I have a problem when I switch my (American) keyboard to German. I have all the symbols that my English keyboard has, except for the , and | signs. The problem is that these are assigned to an extra key on a German keyboard (next to the y/z key) that doesn't exist on English keyboards - all there is there is the shift key. Is there any way to get around this missing key when I set my keyboard language to German? (see also my previous, related 'terminology' question: @ >)
Local time: 03:16

Summary of answers provided
na +1You will probably have to use your Alt keys
xxxKristina M



4 days peer agreement (net): +1
You will probably have to use your Alt keys

‹: Alt + 0139
›: Alt + 0155
|: Alt + 0124

This should work. You can also always go to the character maps and copy and paste whatever you need. If anyone has a better suggestion, I would like to know, as well.


Kristina Moeller
15704 Hopewell Road
Alpharetta, GA 30004-2871
(770) 569-1704 Phone
(770) 569-1804 Fax

Visit www.washbear.com

xxxKristina M
Local time: 04:16
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman, Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 94

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Roland Grefer
244 days
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)
The asker has declined this answer

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search