10:30 May 31, 2000
German to English translations [PRO]
German term or phrase: Schüttgewicht
A way of measuring/classifying coal. Is "rubble weight" the correct term for this?

Summary of answers provided
Michael Estes



531 days   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5

Not sure if you are looking for a unit of measure or what have you, but an accepted term (particularly in the UK, although I've heard it referenced in Canada and northern US) is chaldron. Context would/should provide the specific chaldron measure (it varies from 32 to 72 imperial bushels).


Michael Estes
PRO pts in pair: 4
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search