KudoZ home » German to English » Construction / Civil Engineering


English translation: alarm wire (insert)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
German term or phrase:Alarmspinne
English translation:alarm wire (insert)
- Contribute to this entry
- Include in personal glossary

14:23 Jul 27, 2005
German to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Construction / Civil Engineering
German term or phrase: Alarmspinne
Electrical security inside a insulating glass. If the glass is breaking you´ll gett a alarm signal. prevention of burglars spec. jeweller, shop window etc.
alarm wire (insert)
Might be possible if the answer to my above question is "Yes".
Selected response from:

Steffen Walter
Local time: 10:11
Grading comment
2 KudoZ points were awarded for this answer

Summary of answers provided
4 +1alarm glass
John Jory
2alarm wire (insert)
Steffen Walter

Discussion entries: 2



14 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 2/5Answerer confidence 2/5
alarm wire (insert)

Might be possible if the answer to my above question is "Yes".

Steffen Walter
Local time: 10:11
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in category: 790
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

5 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +1
alarm glass

As so often, the German term describes the technology, whilst the English term describes the product:

"Alarm glass: A particular form of laminated glass used for security purposes. The glass has 0.1 mm wires embedded in the interlayer (intermediate layer between the outer glass sheets). The wires form an electrical circuit which, if broken in the event of the glass sheet being smashed, sets off an alarm."
Ref 1 (search the file for 'alarm glass')

"Alarm glass
Is a special laminated glass designed and manufactured for security purposes. The interlayer is embedded with a very thin wire and then "sandwiched" between two or more sheets of glass. The wire forms an electrical circuit which activates alarm when the glass is forced."
Ref 2

    Reference: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/research/technology/ses/ses2003-04/a...
    Reference: http://www.glassonweb.com/glassmanual/topics/index/alarm.htm
John Jory
Local time: 10:11
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman, Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 300

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Steffen Walter: You're right but asker to decide whether he can get away with your solution (context might also require separate specification of the wire as such).
11 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

Changes made by editors
Jul 27, 2005 - Changes made by Steffen Walter:
Term askedalarmspinne » Alarmspinne
Field (write-in)technic, building » (none)
Jul 27, 2005 - Changes made by Ingo Dierkschnieder:
LevelNon-PRO » PRO

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search