KudoZ home » German to English » Furniture / Household Appliances



Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
12:15 Jan 10, 2008
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Answer found elsewhere

German to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Furniture / Household Appliances / Mattresses
German term or phrase: Formpolster
"Auflage | Formpolster

Oben/Liegeseite: Matratzen ABC®-Polsterauflage mit Technogel® im Schulterbereich zur Druckreduktion und neu entwickeltem Streckschnitt im Lordosebereich zur Wirbelsäulenregeneration."

From a text about mattresses. I have absolutely no idea how to translate Formpolster, and the dictionaries are no help. I did find the following very helpful definition of a Formpolster:

"Bei offenen Kernsystemen geschieht dies mit dem Polsterträger. Der Polsterträger hat die Funktion, die darauf folgenden Polsterschichten gegen ein Durchreiben der Federn zu schützen. Polsterträger findet man in der Regel nur bei offenen Kernsystemen und teilweise beim Zylinder- und Taschenfederkern. Auf den Polsterträger folgt das eigentliche Formpolster.

Das Formpolster (oder Grobpolster) besteht aus elastischen Materialien wie Latex, Kaltschaum oder Polyetherschäumen. Es kann aber auch - wie früher hauptsächlich verwendet - aus Naturmaterialien wie Rosshaar, Sisal, Kapok, Kokos u. ä. bestehen.

Um das Formpolster fest mit dem Kern zu verbinden, wird der Kern mit einem Schaumrahmen (Zarge) umgeben, der mittels Kleber mit dem Formpolster verbunden wird. Die Zarge dient zudem der Kantenstabilität der Matratze.

Das Formpolster beeinflusst den Liegekomfort erheblich. So hat man auf einem Latexpolster ein weicheres Liegegefühl als auf einem Polyetherschaum."

The source for that is: http://www.moebelconcept24.de/includes/startseite/boxes/bera...

I still haven't got a clue what Formpolster is in English though. TIA for your help, and Happy New Year.
Rowan Morrell
New Zealand
Local time: 12:43

Summary of answers provided
3Countour cushion/shaped cushion
David Williams

Discussion entries: 1



23 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
Countour cushion/shaped cushion

The "Contour Cushion" contoured cushion is a shaped cushion, see link.

Note added at 25 mins (2008-01-10 12:41:18 GMT)

Although in your link it seems like it may be referring to the "foam topper", see http://www.memoryfoammattress.ca/specialty_products.php

Note added at 20 days (2008-01-31 05:45:30 GMT)

The term "form pad" for Formpolster by the same company seems an overly literal translation to me, I'd definitely suggest looking for confirmation from an independent source, ideally a similar company from an English speaking country that you know won't have been naming its products in German (or any other language) and then rendering them in English subsequently. Bear in mind that the German "form" is most usually "shape" in English, rather than "form" even though objects can be formed, deformed etc.

Example sentence(s):
  • Contour Cushion A contoured cushion of high quality moulded foam

    Reference: http://www.dolby-ltd.co.uk/MSS.htm
David Williams
Local time: 02:43
Meets criteria
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 4
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search