KudoZ home » German to English » Law (general)



Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
15:27 May 1, 2008
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Other

German to English translations [PRO]
Law/Patents - Law (general) / court
German term or phrase: Mag.
This is a letter from an Austrian court regarding inheritance. At the end of the document it says:

Bezirksgericht XXXX
Abt. 2 [Abteilung 2], am XX.Feb. 200X

***Mag.*** [Vorname Nachname]
Fuer die Richtigkeit der Ausfertigung
der Leiter der Geschaeftsabteilung: [signature]
Local time: 08:28

Summary of answers provided
4 +8Mag.
Daina Jauntirans
5Magistersilvia glatzhofer



3 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +8

In Austria, people who hold a master's degree (Magister) can use the abbreviation Mag. in front of their names much like a PhD can use Dr. I would leave it Mag., because it is a country-specific designation.

Daina Jauntirans
Local time: 08:28
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 4

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Steffen Walter
9 mins
  -> Thanks!

agree  James Bradley: Explanation correct, though I would say you could omit in the translation - in the English-speaking world, people don't generally use their academic titles in everyday life in the way they do in DACH
20 mins
  -> True. I usually leave it in.

agree  MandL: I often include it as it is; according to EU guidelines, however, it should be omitted: http://ec.europa.eu/translation/writing/style_guides/english...
1 hr
  -> Thanks for that link - very useful.

agree  mary austria: Half the time I leave it this way, and half the time I omit it althogether. Take you pick!
1 hr
  -> Yes, it's correct either way. Depends on the text.

agree  Ingeborg Gowans
1 hr
  -> Thanks!

agree  NicC
4 hrs

agree  EdithK
13 hrs

agree  kriddl: The abbreviated form can mean both Magister and Magistra.
15 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

3 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5

just leave it this way, it's the academic title of the person signing the document. (Magister is similar to a Master of Arts)

silvia glatzhofer
Local time: 15:28
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in category: 20

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  MandL: MA is not the only type of Master's degree; MSc, LLM, MBA - to name a few - also exist. The same is true for Magister/Magistra, e.g. Mag.iur. or Mag.oec. Unless the degree subject is known, either use Mag. or omit it completely.
22 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Voters for reclassification
PRO / non-PRO
Non-PRO (1): EdithK

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search