Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.
You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
German to English translations [PRO] Medical - Medical (general) / advice for new mothers
German term or phrase:Topfenwickel
In a brochure for new mothers taking their babies home from the hospital (in Vienna), under the section on nursing, where it talks about problems with breast engorgement or inflammation, the following sentence appears:
Häufigeres Anlegen und kühlende Topfenwickel nach dem Stillen können Linderung verschaffen.
The only references I can find have to do with what appears to be an onion poultice. This doesn't make sense to me - is this just a poultice of some sort? Does it necessarily have to be onions?
• Quarkpäckchen vorbereiten:
Quark (nicht aus dem Kühlschrank)
wird auf die Unterlage ca. ½ - 1 cm dick aufgetragen und ein Päckchen gemacht.
• Quarkpäckchen auflegen http://www.doc-uni.at/html/topfenwickel.html
Vaginitis (Infection) Remedy with Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese or farmer cheese or yogurt with active cultures
Place a poultice of cottage cheese, or farmer cheese, or yogurt with active cultures on a sanitary napkin and wear it. Change the poultice every 3-5 hours. The itching will stop rather quickly and the infection will be gone within a week or two.
Yeast is always present in our vaginas. It is only when our bodies are off balance that yeast will create an infection. Some precipitating factors are antibiotic therapy, stress, diet or weather changes, birth control pills and high sugar intake (creates an alkaline balance in tissues).
1. Drink, douche and bathe with oat straw tea for one month.
2. Apply a poultice of natural cottage or farmers cheese on a sanitary pad (or minipad). Change it several times per day. This will stop the itching and help draw out the infection. Use until symptoms do not reoccur within 12 hours. Cottage cheese contains lactobacillus, the normal bacteria of the vagina. Do not use supermarket cottage cheese, only natural food store type.
3. Apply one applicator of yogurt or acidophilus culture at bedtime for 3 - 5 days. Alternatively, you can use acidophilus capsules inserted as a suppository. Use only natural food store or homemade yogurt.