KudoZ home » German to English » Science

wissenschaftlicher Adjunkt


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
07:34 Mar 12, 2001
German to English translations [PRO]
German term or phrase: wissenschaftlicher Adjunkt
position in a university's engineering department
Jayne White
Local time: 23:15

Summary of answers provided
nascientific assistantUlrike Lieder
naassistant scientistKaroline Krauss
naassistent lecturerlipsia
naAssistant Professor
Asya Sokirko
nascientific assistantxxxHenri
nascientific assistant
Mats Wiman



15 mins
scientific assistant

I am certain there are more titles suitable for such a position

    Cassels de<>en dictionary+MW
Mats Wiman
Local time: 00:15
Native speaker of: Native in SwedishSwedish
PRO pts in pair: 1498
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

45 mins
scientific assistant

According to:

    van Dale: Groot Woordenboek Nederlands-Engels
Local time: 00:15
PRO pts in pair: 59
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 hr
Assistant Professor

This is a standard American term for this position, I don't know what the British term would be.

    experience; web search
Asya Sokirko
United States
Local time: 18:15
Native speaker of: Native in RussianRussian, Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 42
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 hr
assistent lecturer

Depending on whether the assistent's duties are extended beyond general assistence, i.e. to give lectures on special occasions (e.g. illness/absence of main lecturer)I would opt for this term.

Local time: 23:15

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
Madeleine van Zanten
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

6 hrs
scientific assistant

According to Duden, Adjunkt is an obsolete title for an assistant or a civil servant. Therefore, I'd be hesitant to use a term like "assistant professor" or "assistant lecturer" unless it is clear that the person is indeed academically qualified to teach engineering courses (or has actually taught such courses).

Assistant professors at US universities must at least hold a Ph.D., so again, the same caveat as above. (Lecturers, on the other hand, are not required to hold a doctorate degree, but must have some academic qualifications.)

"Assistant" or "clerk" would seem to be the safest choices.

Adjunkt, der; -en, -en (R 126) <lat.> (veraltet für [Amts]gehilfe; österr. u. schweiz. Beamtentitel)
[Duden, Rechtschreibung]


    10 years teaching experience at a major US university
Ulrike Lieder
Local time: 15:15
Native speaker of: German
PRO pts in pair: 3525
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

7 hrs
assistant scientist

This is tricky, since "Adjunkt" could be a simple adaptation of the American academic position. If this text is Austrian or Swiss, the term has the specific meaning of "junior civil servant," a position that does not exist in US universities. However, here it clearly has to do with a non-tenured scientific position.

    Collins and Wahrig
Karoline Krauss
PRO pts in pair: 12
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search