KudoZ home » German to English » Tech/Engineering

Glass terminology


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
05:33 Mar 22, 2000
German to English translations [PRO]
German term or phrase: Glass terminology
Can anybody translate the following terms, related to glass-cutting/grinding?
geschw. Schleifbew. (perhaps "geschwungene Schleifbewegeungen"?)
geradl. Schleifbew.
Thanks muchly! :-)

Summary of answers provided
nasee belowUta Moerschell
naLinishing of surface work with a wavy motion
Tom Funke
nasurface grind, etc.xxxKristina M



2 hrs
surface grind, etc.

A "Flächenschleifmaschine" is a surface grinder, so it stands to reason that a Flächenschliff is a surface grind.

Ausfüllarbeiten: perhaps "surfacing (procedures)"?

geschw./geradl. Schleifbewegung: perhaps "sweeping/straight grinding motion"?

HTH a little,

xxxKristina M
Local time: 06:17
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman, Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 94
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

7 hrs
Linishing of surface work with a wavy motion

That's what the process seems to refer to. The Online Glass Dictionary (below)distinguishes between linishing (belt grinding -- probably more suitable to flat surface grinding with swinging or wavy motion than would be wheel grinding) and wheel grinding. Surface work is also a listed term in this dictionary. According to Ernst, >>ausfüllen von Fehlstellen in Guß<< (not exactly what you have here) can translate as surfacing, refilling or depositing. A non-glass expert, I like surface work.

    Reference: http://www.glassonline.com/dictionary/index.html#S
Tom Funke
Local time: 06:17
Native speaker of: English
PRO pts in pair: 2419
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

23 hrs
see below

Ausfüllarbeiten: I would suppose this is repair of places where the glass chipped or has a hole for any other reason. Obviously, if you add new (molten) glass or some other filler to a smooth glass surface, it's very visible, and you'll need to grind it so the surface is uniform again.

Uta Moerschell
Local time: 12:17
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in pair: 37
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search