Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.
You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
03:51 Aug 15, 2002
German to English translations [PRO] Tech/Engineering / trucks with a dumping/tipping body
German term or phrase:Abschüttkante
The single German sentence remaining is below.
– Do not exceed the maximum permissible vehicle height of 4,000 mm, measured from the roadway to the top edge of the container.
Because of various container heights the actual height of the vehicle may vary.
The manufacturer will indicate the maximum vehicle height without load, measured from the road surface to above the top edge of the jib, in a sign on the instrument panel.
– Check whether the safety lugs are secure in the suspension pivots before moving the container.
– Before tipping the container, check the lock of the tipping hook in the container tipping bearing.
– When picking up, depositing and dumping using full containers, the vehicle must be firmly braced against solid ground by extending the stabilizing jacks to ensure stability. In an emergency, place planks underneath to make sure that the ground can adequately carry the weight of the vehicle. Auf Mülldeponien ist auf ausreichenden Abstand zur Abschüttkante zu achten.
– During transport secure the container against slipping by adjusting the front and lateral container stops. Raise the tipping hook.
Explanation: According to the Collins dictionary, "abschütten" means "to drain off" or "to pour off". So "draining edge" seems reasonably likely. See what others reckon, but I hope this has been of some help.
Rowan Morrell New Zealand Local time: 14:17 Native speaker of: English PRO pts in pair: 1459
Explanation: Dumps are often also called tips, especially in mining.
Mining Heritage - Profile 2
... Slag squares were often used to pave over the uneven top of the slag
heap to allow easy access by wheeled buckets to the tipping edge. ... www.ahc.gov.au/infores/publications/ generalpubs/mining/profile2.html - 48k - Cached - Similar pages
Waste Watch - Schools & Kids - Fun for Kids - Top 20 Waste Tips
... Top 20 Waste Tips Once your rubbish is collected, most of it is buried in large
holes in the ground. This is called landfilling. ... Top 10 Waste Tips at Home... ... www.wastewatch.org.uk/school-k/tips.htm - 18k - Cached - Similar pages