KudoZ home » German to English » Tech/Engineering



Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
06:18 Jan 22, 2001
German to English translations [Non-PRO]
German term or phrase: Drucktuchschienen
Drucktuchschienen sind Bestandteil von Druckmaschinen. Das sind Stahlschienen, die dort eingesetzt werden. Wir haben im technischen Dictionary gefunden: Drucktuch = blanket und dann guide rail für Führungsschiene oder doctor für Schiene im Papierbereich. Was ist nun wohl technisch einwandfrei?
Brigitte Schnemann

Summary of answers provided
naprinting blanket guides
Alexander Schleber
nadoctor blade
Johanna Timm, PhD



5 hrs
doctor blade


There are many glossaries out there.I found many definitions , maybe I found what you are looking for:
Doctor Blade: A term in gravure printing which refers to the
knife-edge that runs along the printing cylinder; its function is
to wipe the excess ink away from the non-printing areas.
Doctor blade. Flexible metal strip that cleans excess ink from a gravure plate prior to each impression.

Blanket. Thick rubber sheet that transfers ink from plate to paper on an offset press.

A fabric coated with a rubber or synthetic surface which is wrapped around the blanket cylinder on a press.The print image is transferred on this blanket from the printing plate to the paper.

www.sun.ac.za/us_printing/Glossary.htm -

Maybe someone with more konwledge in this field can confirm...

    www.sun.ac.za/us_printing/Glossary.htm -
Johanna Timm, PhD
Local time: 11:04
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in pair: 7302
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

3 days 19 hrs
printing blanket guides

Drucktuch = printing blanket. This is the rubber blanket used to transfer ink to the paper in offset printing. The guides make sure that the blanket always stays in the same position, for the regsitration of the image.

"doctor blade" is wrong. This is an "Abstreichmesser" in German, used for removing excess ink on a press.

    Ernst, WDIT
Alexander Schleber
Local time: 20:04
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman, Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 2340
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search