KudoZ home » Italian to English » Construction / Civil Engineering


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
14:23 Mar 4, 2007
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

Italian to English translations [PRO]
Construction / Civil Engineering / Oven construction
Italian term or phrase: graffa
Can someone help me with this term which I find in instructions in how to assemble the components of a clay oven: "Gli elementi che vanno a diretto contatto con il fuoco vanno semplicemente appoggiati senza alcun tipo di legante, uniti fra loro con delle **graffe**". Thanks
Sarah Gregg
Local time: 15:31

Summary of answers provided
Rosanna Palermo

Discussion entries: 7



1 hr   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5

brack·et /ˈbrækɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[brak-it] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a support, as of metal or wood, projecting from a wall or the like to hold or bear the weight of a shelf, part of a cornice, etc.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source brace (brās) Pronunciation Key

A device that holds or fastens two or more parts together or in place; a clamp.
A device, such as a supporting beam in a building or a connecting wire or rope, that steadies or holds something else erect.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
fas·ten·er /ˈfæsənər, ˈfɑsə-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fas-uh-ner, fah-suh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. any of various devices for fastening.
2. any of various devices, as a snap or hook and eye, for holding together two objects or parts sometimes required to be separate, as two edges or flaps of a piece of clothing.
3. a worker who fastens things together.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
clamp /klæmp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[klamp] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a device, usually of some rigid material, for strengthening or supporting objects or fastening them together.

2. a shelf or shelves so supported.

Note added at 1 hr (2007-03-04 16:13:39 GMT)

Sarah I would cut the chase and translate it as:

The elements which come in direct contact with the fire are to be simply set without any type of adhesive, by securing them together with their fastners
by using their fastners to secure them together

Note added at 1 hr (2007-03-04 16:14:12 GMT)

sorry with fasteners - omit their

Rosanna Palermo
Local time: 08:31
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in ItalianItalian, Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 134
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search