KudoZ home » Italian to English » Human Resources

ammortizzatori sociali


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
09:02 Mar 29, 2007
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Answer found elsewhere

Italian to English translations [PRO]
Bus/Financial - Human Resources
Italian term or phrase: ammortizzatori sociali
"shock absorber" "social safety valve" and "welfare support provisions" don't cut it.

The specific case here is an agreement with the trade unions about the closure of a plant and utilisation of the "ammortizatori sociali". My understanding is that refers to the range of solutions rather one in particular (e.g., cassa integrazione).

Knowledgeable solutions greatly appreciated!
Local time: 14:45

Summary of answers provided
5temporary state layoff fund and similar government subsidised instruments for redundancies
James (Jim) Davis
3 +1redundancy arrangements
Adele Oliveri
3unemployment benefit system
Cecilia Di Vita

Discussion entries: 12



11 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5 peer agreement (net): +1
redundancy arrangements

hi paul, i think all the terms you mentioned (including "social security provisions", "social safety net" and the like) are all correct ways of translating "ammortizzatori sociali" (why is it that you think they don't cut it?). perhaps, if you wish to be more specific about the fact that you are talking about workers being made redundant, you could say "redundancy arrangements". check, for instance:


hope this helps :-)

Note added at 39 mins (2007-03-29 09:41:55 GMT)

hi paul
as for your last question, it seems to me it could be the former, i.e. existing funds/programmes. the most important "ammortizzatore sociale" in italy is the "cassa integrazione guadagni" (CIG), which is a standing arrangement that all firms satisfying certain conditions can resort to in case of difficulties:


according to the law, the emloyer who wishes to resort to the CIG must discuss that with the unions:


which seems to fit the sentence quite well...

Note added at 58 mins (2007-03-29 10:01:39 GMT)

me again :-)
the CIG is the main type of ammortizzatore sociale in italy, however there are others. see (column on the left):
so i think they use a broader term because, in this specific case, they might also be resorting to the "indennizzo di disoccupazione" or the "indennizzo di mobilità" or any combination of the above.
as far as rendering the term goes, "redundancy arrangements" seems to be capturing it quite well. "relativo" (which might be the source of confusion) should be interpreted as "applicable in this specific case" (i.e. plant closure).

Adele Oliveri
Local time: 14:45
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in ItalianItalian
Notes to answerer
Asker: "social safety net" would be adequate if we are talking in macroeconomic terms about steps taken in Italy to reduce the impact of large factory closures...but to say that we agreed utilisation of the "social safety net" with the unions is just not right. I believe we are talking specific funding options available in the case of large scale redundancies which, indirectly, companies and not the government pay for but utilisation of these funds requires union approval

Asker: Your suggestion of "redundancy arrangements" is much more descriptive but do you think they mean "agreed utilisation of existing funds/programmes" or "agreed to specific redundancy arrangements established for the purpose of this closure". You might need to see the original sentence to answer that. Thx. PJ ;)

Asker: Yes. As mentioned in my question, it is exactly the Cassa Integrazione or similar programme that they are referring and they required approval for its utilisation. The question is, they used a broader term (to be more ambiguous or because more than one programme is to be utilised) and what is the best way to render it.

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  potra: Yes, this is how I am translating it.
3283 days
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 hr   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
unemployment benefit system

Hi Paul - this is just another suggestion that *may* fit your context.

see the document I link you below, I think it is useful.

Cheers :)


    Reference: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/centrepiece/v10i1/layard_nickell_jackma...
Cecilia Di Vita
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:45
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in ItalianItalian
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

22 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5
temporary state layoff fund and similar government subsidised instruments for redundancies

Sorry Paul, didn't see the context and am fantastically busy.
In the precise context, which I hadn't seen, what they are almost undoubtedly talking about is cassa integrazione, which is a "lay-off" fund from government. Angela Arnone gives the term, in the glossary. It is a fund for payments to workers laid off (if the lay-off is permanent payments last maybe two years at most), granted largely at government discretion. I have found no equivalent in other countries. Of course there are a lot of similar schemes for individual sectors (e.g. fondo di solidarità in the banking sector) so you need to add and "and similar". Naturally you might like to tailor my suggestion or use Melippa's alternative answer offered. Howerver, it is government subsidised (maybe conditional on firm contributions) and to call it unemployment benefit would suggest it was a universal right as in UK or US which it isn't.

James (Jim) Davis
Local time: 16:45
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 203
Notes to answerer
Asker: Hi James. I think we are all flat out at the moment :) I am very familiar with the process and even the how the boards of the Cassa Integrazione etc. are composed. In this context I believe they are talking about the range of instruments similar to and including CI (look at www.welfare.gov.it). In fact, these are funded by industry and administered jointly by unions, gov and industry. They didn't say Cassa Integrazione on purpose. Rendering? (see my discussion with Melippa)

Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search