KudoZ home » Italian to English » Tech/Engineering



Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
08:22 Oct 21, 2002
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

Italian to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering / HVAC systems
Italian term or phrase: cartella
Presumably the name of part of a pressure gauge. From a text dealing with the use of refrigerants in HVAC systems.
Full sentence:
gli accorgimenti per evitare la carica accidentale delle unità con un diverso tipo di refrigerante (il "trucco" più semplice? Modificare le dimensioni delle cartelle e delle prese dei manometri!).
Anne Micallef
Local time: 18:10

Summary of answers provided
Alexander Chisholm
Derek Smith



24 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5


Local time: 18:10
Native speaker of: Native in ItalianItalian
PRO pts in pair: 5386
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

31 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 2/5Answerer confidence 2/5

Hi Anne
I am guessing of course, but I remember discovering many years ago that cartella can translate as flange. Although this refers specifically to vehicle wheels, there is a possibility that the same lexical association could apply to your application.

Derek Smith
Local time: 18:10
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 1096
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 hr   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5

not sure of the exact definition, but having quite a lot of experiencing in using hvac pumps etc, I have often heard the phrase used - vacuum envelope. Links are included.

Best regards.


    Reference: http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/~ajw/40m_082300.pdf
    Reference: http://www.rdmag.com/features/0109pen.asp
Alexander Chisholm
Local time: 18:10
Native speaker of: English
PRO pts in pair: 269

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  Derek Smith: Greetings: I hear what you're saying here Sandy, but I *think* this is the total internal space subjected to vacuum and is perhaps "involucro" in Italian. Resp. Derek
1 hr
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search