Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.
You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
19:32 Dec 27, 2010
Polish to English translations [PRO] History
Polish term or phrase:prasoł
W dawnej Polsce kupiec zajmujący się sprzedażą soli i mięsa.
In most cases these travelling salt salesmen were men who themselves harvested the salt from the salt marshes in and around the city of Guérande, close to the Loire estuary.
During the summer months these men, known locally as paludiers, worked on the marshes collecting the salt, and in the autumn, traditionally between All Saints Day and Christmas, some of them travelled round Brittany with trains of mules.
Explanation: 1. One that manufactures or sells salt.
2. One that treats meat, fish, or other foods with salt.
1. (Business / Commerce) a person who deals in or manufactures salt
2. (Cookery) a person who treats meat, fish, etc., with salt
1. salter - someone who uses salt to preserve meat or fish or other foods preserver - a cook who preserves fruits or meat
2. salter - someone who makes or deals in salt
merchandiser, merchant - a businessperson engaged in retail trade