Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.
You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
|Russian to English translations [PRO]|
Art/Literary - General / Conversation / Greetings / Letters
|Russian term or phrase: бессовестный|
|You know, I have never found a suitable translation for this word that would carry into English the tone of disgust (of the speaker to the party addressed) that it has in Russian, particularly as used during the Soviet era. There is something about this word that carries such judgemental character, so much drama.....I'm just lost every time I want to use it in an English context. Any suggestions?|
|English translation:a couple of options...|
Alina, I am of the thought that words such as this one cannot have one true translation that will work in all cases. Surely the English language is rich enough to offer more than one option, particularly when it comes to expressive and emotional language.
Please see below for a modest list of options.
Synonyms: shameless, brazen, barefaced, brash1, impudent, unblushing
These adjectives apply to that which defies social or moral proprieties and is marked by a bold lack of shame.
- Shameless implies a lack of modesty, sense of decency, or regard for others' rights or feelings: a shameless liar; a shameless accusation.
- Brazen suggests flagrant, insolent audacity: a brazen impostor; brazen arrogance.
- Barefaced specifies undisguised brazenness: a barefaced hypocrite; a barefaced lie.
- Brash stresses impetuousness, lack of tact, and often crass indifference to consequences or to considerations of decency: a brash newcomer; brash demands.
- Impudent suggests offensive boldness or effrontery: an impudent student; an impudent misrepresentation.
- Unblushing implies an inappropriate lack of shame or embarrassment: an unblushing apologist; unblushing obsequiousness.
Selected response from:
Local time: 23:52
|Thank you for all the options. I think I've completed my negative proof that no exact, one-applicable translation for the word exists in English. The different synonyms and the explanations are great, though :)|
4 KudoZ points were awarded for this answer
22 mins confidence: 19 mins confidence: peer agreement (net): +3