20:38 Feb 25, 2018
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

Spanish to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Construction / Civil Engineering / building materials
Spanish term or phrase: cernido
I can't find any definitions of cernido that fit this context. It appears in the technical construction specifications for an office building (in Guatemala):

Como acabado final repello, cernido y pintura latex
Jeanne Zang
United States
Local time: 10:46

Summary of answers provided
3plaster | stucco
Summary of reference entries provided
Sand Texture Finish
3-coat stucco system
Christian Nielsen-Palacios

Discussion entries: 2



30 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
plaster | stucco

Depending on original and target dialects

Local time: 16:46
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in SpanishSpanish
PRO pts in category: 199

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  TomWalker: I think the "repello" & "cernido" are both types of plaster or stucco; so we need a more specific term to discriminate between them.
39 mins
  -> Thank you Tom :-)
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Reference comments

11 mins
Reference: Findings

Reference information:
CERNIDO Es un recubrimiento que cubre los poros del repello, quiere decir que va después del repello.

Los cernidos son acabados más simples y, comúnmente, los más utilizados en la construcción. Consisten en la operación de extender una capa de mortero de cinco a diez milímetros de espesor, sobre el repello de base con el auxilio de la plancha de madera. Existen distintos tipos como el remolineado y el vertical, que, utilizando el mismo mortero proporcionan un acabado final distinto por su diferente forma de aplicación.

Note added at 30 mins (2018-02-25 21:09:11 GMT)

I wonder if this is it. Not my area of expertise but based on the Spanish definition provided above:
Parging is a construction technique used to finish the surface of a masonry wall.
uses a masonry-based mortar rather than a traditional stucco mixture.
This material is applied using a standard masonry trowel, and it is generally installed in very thin coats.
Parging is an economical and easy-to-apply solution for covering unattractive masonry surfaces. It can cover cracks and water damage, or even holes and voids

United States
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish, Native in SpanishSpanish
PRO pts in category: 60
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 hr
Reference: Sand Texture Finish

Reference information:
This reference discusses both Repellos y Cernidos (in Spanish):

This reference briefly discusses in English sand texture finish as part of a 3-layer process; also, a brief discussion of sand or float finish.

United States
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 36
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

6 hrs
Reference: 3-coat stucco system

Reference information:
In the US, the 3 coats are "scratch coat", "brown coat" and "finish coat".

But I never heard "cernido" before.

Christian Nielsen-Palacios
United States
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in SpanishSpanish
PRO pts in category: 112
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search