International Translation Day 2018

Join for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation


15:32 Mar 23, 2018
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Answer found elsewhere

Spanish to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Construction / Civil Engineering / Rehabilitation
Spanish term or phrase: parteluces
From an inspection report from Spain for translation to British English. Talking about actions to reinforce building structure.

I find "mullion" for parteluz", but that does not seem right for reinforcement. Perhaps the idea is that the reinforcement splits the spans of the original structure...? In English...?

"En esta planta el refuerzo del forjado ha sido mediante parteluces si bien presenta algunas diferencias según los usos y la tipología de las viguetas a reforzar."
Local time: 12:24

Summary of answers provided

Discussion entries: 3



1 hr   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5

Realize they are talking about "viguetas" (tie beams), not super big beams.

In Romanic art, it may be a "heavy duty pillar", like in the porticos,

But also a slender column or baluster, like the picuture in the Wiki link, that reads "Ajimez gótico"

Note added at 1 hr (2018-03-23 17:24:45 GMT)

I meant to write "picture" not "picUture"!

You can check pictures, like these ones,

In the next picture, while the "flimsy" "parteluces" in the forefront may be called like this, probable in the article are referring to the ones in the background (I haven't read the article, just give it to you as illustration) (The mullions in the background don't support a heavy duty weight)

Here is a slender one,

Ah, and this one may be even more fitting to your more current context,

Note added at 2 hrs (2018-03-23 17:48:12 GMT)

Okay, looks like there is also a specialized use of "parteluz" as an horizontal reinforcement, as it appears at "Figura 4." in this link,

It could be this too, in which case, I am not sure how you would say it in English, but there you have it.

United States
Local time: 10:24
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in SpanishSpanish
PRO pts in category: 16

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  philgoddard: I think your last reference is relevant, but that doesn't support "mullion". I agree with the asker that it doesn't seem to be the right term here.
1 hr
  -> Thank you, Phil, that's why I included it. But I believe the actual context (physical context) is needed (i.e., maybe double check with the client), as in my view it could easily be the first option, "mullion".
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search