18:00 Jul 23, 2000
Spanish to English translations [PRO]
Spanish term or phrase: entorchado
It means that a wire is wound around a cable but I don't know the exact term in English. The context is the following: Los alambres y cables para sistemas especiales, tales como comunicaciones, instrumentación de procesos, telemetría, etc., serán los apropiados para las aplicaciones específicas, incluyendo aquellos detalles de cable como entorchados, blindados, características de atenuación, calibre, etc. Gracias.

Summary of answers provided



45 mins

I am encluding an interesting glossary on cables, which includes the following definition that should answer your question:

Braid - A fibrous or metallic group of filaments interwoven in cylindrical form to form a covering over one or more wires.

The text asks for a name, not an adjective "... such as braid, shielding, attenuation characteristics, gauge, etc..."


    Reference: http://www.amercable.com/glossary.asp
Local time: 18:37
Native speaker of: Native in SpanishSpanish
PRO pts in pair: 724
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

8 hrs

Your original Spanish text is a little awkward, equating different types of items: "Los alambres y cables... serán los apropiados ... incluyendo aquellos detalles" -- in other words, " the wires and cables ... will be the appropriate ones ... including those details..." For clarity, I'd change the sentence structure slightly in the English version, thus: "The wires and cables for special systems, such as telecommunications systems, process instrumentation, telemetry, etc., shall be suitable for the applications in question, as shall the features (windings, shielding, attenuation characteristics, gauge, etc.) of the cable employed." -- A few notes: "shielding" is invariable (the plural does not take an 's'), and for "entorchados" you could also use "spiral windings" (but not "braids" or "braided windings." Braiding and plain spiral winding are two different things, and if braided shielding had been one of the intended features, the Spanish text would probably have used a word like "trenzados" or "trencillados"). -- Hope this helps!

United States
Local time: 13:37
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 843
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search