Montajista profesional

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

14:53 Jun 1, 2018
Spanish to English translations [PRO]
Art/Literary - Art, Arts & Crafts, Painting / List ot people in charge of an exhibition
Spanish term or phrase: Montajista profesional
Hello all,

This term refers to the person that mounts the exhibition, therefore is not an editor like in the cinema sector. Is there a word to name a person in charge of mounting?

The list comes as: Personal de seguridad y custodia, restauradores y montajistas profesionales.

Many thanks
Pamela Olea
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:20

Summary of answers provided
4 +1professional installer
Charles Davis
4 +1professional mounter
Andrew Darling

Discussion entries: 3



10 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +1
professional mounter

I believe the literal translation will do in this case, according to my finding in the reference below.

Note added at 20 mins (2018-06-01 15:14:31 GMT)

"The final step is full mounting as a scroll or screen. For this final process, I would usually consign the piece to my professional mounter in Kyoto".

Note added at 24 mins (2018-06-01 15:18:48 GMT)

Littlejohn became interested in Oriental painting, taking advantage of the visit to England in 1910 of leading Japanese wood engravers, colour printers and mounters for the Japanese exhibition at Shepherds Bush.

Example sentence(s):
  • Subsequently, cut-outs were mounted permanently, either in the studio or in Paris by professional mounters.
Andrew Darling
Local time: 18:20
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish, Native in SpanishSpanish

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  philgoddard: Probably. See my discussion entries.
19 mins
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 day 28 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +1
professional installer

(Sorry for the late reply; I hope this is still in time to be useful. I've only just seen the question.)

Judging by Google results, "montajista" in this sense is primarily a Latin American term. It refers to the people responsible for the "montaje" of an exhibition, which in English is called "set-up". They are the people who bring the artworks into the exhibition space and set them up in the positions and in the way that the exhibition designer has planned. Set-up comes under the heading of exhibition production.

The curator is responsible for planning the contents of the exhibition. The designer plans how the exhibition is to be arranged, and the "montajistas" set it up according to that plan.

Here's a video in which you can see the "montaje" of a Richard Hamilton show at the Reina Sofía. The people doing it are "montajistas"

"Richard Hamilton – montaje de la exposición / exhibition set-up"

"El montajista de la muestra es quien instala las obras – se trata de una tarea técnica que puede ser dirigida por un artista o un curador"

(This very clear explanation is from Latin America, where they call the curator "curador", instead of "comisario" as in Spain.)

I think the best term to use in English for the people who do this job is "installers":

"Exhibitions Installer (Part-time)
The National Gallery of Australia
This position sits within the Gallery’s Exhibitions Section and is part of the team of installers responsible for the preparation and installation of works of art and associated display materials to high exhibition standards. Installers may respond to all areas of the Gallery that require assistance with the installation or handling of works of art and can expect to regularly liaise with Conservation, Curatorial, Registration Travelling Exhibitions and Workshop staff through the Exhibitions Section."

The "montaje" of exhibitions that this refers to is not called "mounting" and the people who do it are not called "mounters". The mounters in Andrew's and Phil's references mount artworks, specially paper works, on supports. The conservation mounters in the British Museum would be called "enmarcadores" in Spanish. Although the word "montaje" can be applied to the highly skilled and specific job of mounting prints and drawings, the person who does it is not called a "montajista":

"La selección de materiales apropiados para el almacenaje y montaje es crucial. El papel puede presentar graves deterioros debido a la proximidad o contacto con materiales ácidos, por tanto, las carpetas, sobres y materiales seleccionados para el almacenaje o montaje deben ser químicamente estables y permanentes. Aunque hoy en día los enmarcadores están más actualizados, existen todavía aquellos que no están conscientes de la importancia de utilizar materiales que garanticen la preservación de las obras sobre papel.

The fact that the "montajistas" are mentioned in your list just after the "restauradores" doesn't mean that their work has anything to do with conservation. The "restauradores" are mentioned just after the security staff, but have nothing to do with them either,

Finally, "professional" is not redundant and should be included. It doesn't just mean being paid for doing what you do; it means have the skill and experience to do it to a professional standard.

Charles Davis
Local time: 18:20
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 222

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Jessica Noyes: Absolutely.
5 hrs
  -> Many thanks, Jessica :-)
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search