Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.
You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
Spanish to English translations [PRO] Finance (general) / \
Spanish term or phrase:esquema de concurrencia
"...explicaron que dicho programa funciona mediante un esquema de concurrencia con el cual el [institución] pone 40 por ciento del costo inicial de las obras. El 60 por ciento restante es responsabilidad de los institutos locales de educación, quienes reciben del [institución] un peso por cada peso que aporten ellos."
Looking for the correct English term(s) for this concept: "esquema de concurrencia".
Explanation: "Cost-sharing" sums up pretty well what you can deduce from the context: the institution puts up 40% and local schools provide the other 60%, but their contribution is also refunded peso for peso by the institution.
However, I think the actual meaning of "concurrencia" here ("acción y efecto de concurrir") has to be related to definition 3 of "concurrir" in the DRAE:
In other words, financial contribution. In this context I would say this amounts to a subsidy; that is what the institution is providing.
As for "esquema", the idea is "arrangement", I think, but I have a strong hunch that the word is being used like the English word "scheme", as a kind of calque. This is particular plausible if the text is from Mexico, where calques of English are very common, but even if the pesos are not Mexican ones, "scheme" would fit the context pretty well.
Charles Davis Spain Local time: 06:50 Native speaker of: English PRO pts in category: 299
Notes to answerer
Asker: Charles, thank you for the thorough explanation!
Explanation: 1 National Report to the Tenth Session of the United Nations Forum ... www.un.org/esa/forests/pdf/national.../Mexico.pdf
Translate this page
Dec 10, 2012 - promover la complementación y concurrencia de programas ...... recursos en un esquema de fondos concurrentes (matching funds), para ...
patinba Argentina Local time: 02:50 Specializes in field Native speaker of: English PRO pts in category: 1180