KudoZ home » Spanish to English » Geography

perfiles abatidos


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
15:31 Feb 14, 2007
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

Spanish to English translations [PRO]
Spanish term or phrase: perfiles abatidos
The text is a description of 17th-century maps of Spain:

"La representación del relieve, mediante *perfiles abatidos*, y de la red hidrográfica es, en términos generales, aproximativa y parcial; y refleja el desconocimiento cartográfico, entonces habitual, de extensas superficies continentales."

I know what it's referring to, and there's a good explanation (in Spanish) in this document (p.4):


So, it's a kind of relief shading, but seen from down on the ground, looking from a particular point, rather than a bird's eye view, but I have not been able to find the English term for this. Any ideas?

Summary of answers provided
4relief drawings / hachures
James Murphy
3Lowered profiles
Gad Kohenov

Discussion entries: 4



2 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
Lowered profiles

I hope this helps you. This needs confirmation from an expert in maps if possible.

Gad Kohenov
Local time: 15:45
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench, Native in HebrewHebrew
PRO pts in category: 16
Notes to answerer
Asker: Thanks, DF: I had in fact been using 'low profile' (see note from asker, above) but still not really satisfied with it.

Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

3 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
relief drawings / hachures

Taking a guess here.
I would suggest using "profile drawing" to portray the idea that it is a small drawing which shows the topography on the map.

Hachure is the technical term referring to shading, but in these older maps, they used drawings more than shadings to portray various topographical features. If the target audience are cartographers, then use "hachure", if not stick with "profile drawing".

For more info:

An example:
"... Note: Col. map. Relief shown by hachures and spot heights. Title in margin: Rand, McNally & Company's indexed atlas of the world. "
Found here:

James Murphy
Local time: 13:45
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
Notes to answerer
Asker: Thanks, JM. I had thought of 'hachure' but, as you say, it's just the technical term for shading.

Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search