KudoZ home » Spanish to English » Tech/Engineering

cable y prensaestopas


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
01:53 Aug 15, 2000
Spanish to English translations [PRO]
Spanish term or phrase: cable y prensaestopas
This is used in an electrical installation.

Summary of answers provided
naglandManuel Baselga López
nacable and stuffing-boxHeathcliff



12 mins
cable and stuffing-box

The word "cable" is the same in English, i.e., an electrical cable or power line.

The term "prensaestopas" in English is "stuffing-box," i.e., a packed, pressure-tight joint for a cable or rod that moves through an opening. The packing (also known as "stuffing") in the box prevents fluid leakage.

    Robb, _Diccionario para Ingenieros ES<>IN_ (28th ed.)
    _McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms_ (5th ed., 1994)
United States
Local time: 09:57
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 843
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

6 hrs

"gland" or "cable gland" is the most used translation for "prensaestopas."

    Reference: http://eurodic.ip.lu:8086//cgi-bin/edicbin/expert.pl
Manuel Baselga López
Local time: 17:57
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search