doktorer och licentiater som examineras

15:58 Nov 28, 2008
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

Swedish to English translations [PRO]
Science - Education / Pedagogy
Swedish term or phrase: doktorer och licentiater som examineras
What, please, are the exact English terms for the above?
This is from admissions guidelines for a faculty of natural sciences, regulating the requirements for PhD candidates (so postgraduate/doctoral/research education)
Cecelia Murphy
United States
Local time: 10:06

Summary of answers provided
5 -1Doctors and licentiates who are examined
Jeff Skinner

Discussion entries: 2



3 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5 peer agreement (net): -1
Doctors and licentiates who are examined

Licentiate as a degree doesn't exist here in the US so there isn't an exact equivalent term. It's halfway between a master's and a doctorate as far as coursework and dissertation is concerned, but it's not a stop between them, rather a post-master's alternative to a full doctorate.

Jeff Skinner
Local time: 19:06
Works in field
Native speaker of: English

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
disagree  Graham Timmins: You're right of course and the same applies in UK, but nobody will understand the term 'licentiate'. This is simply a post-graduate student or PhD student.
1 day 2 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search