The city of Rotterdam is pleased with having its own cruise ship "ss Rotterdam" back in its fold after it ended its many voyages to New York and the Caribbean from 1959 to 1997.
It has been restored to its original 1950s style and is freely open to the public to enjoy the atmosphere of cruising, excursions to its innards and the panorama of the Rotterdam harbour and skyline.
It might be a good idea to do just that in combination with a Powwow on the ship.
The proposed programme:
• 14:00 hours: Meeting in the Lido (informal restaurant) for a snack and/or drink
• 15:30 hours: Audio tour of the ship (it is a 90 minute excursion in itself: from the bridge to the engine room). Costs: € 16
• Lounging on the after-deck that features easy chairs and a bar
• 18:00 hours: Dinner in the Club Room (Costs: € 59,50 - based on the € 38.50 menu plus wines, coffee/tea). From hearsay I understand that the cuisine is good.
Location: 3e Katendrechtsehoofd, Rotterdam See: http://picasaweb.google.com/a.stufkens/PowwowRotterdam2010#5449223365797120738
By train: After arrival at Central Station, by metro to Rijnhaven Station (5 minutes). From there a 10 – 15 minute walk to the ship. (metro ticket can be bought at the entrance of the metro station).
By car: using navigation, go to the free parking area on Brede Hilledijk / Bananenstraat (close to Rijnhaven metro station). Then a 10 minute walk.
Parking is also possible right in front of the ship (€ 3 per hour) In this case follow the signs for ss Rotterdam that lead you on the right road to this parking lot.
Then take Entrance 2. This will lead to the main deck where the after-deck, Lido and Club Room are situated.
For those travelling from afar and wishing to further explore the city during the weekend the ship also provides hotel accommodation (tel. no. 010 2973097)
See enticing illustrations: https://www.cruisehotel.nl/slapen/
Because of new staff of the Restaurant/Cruisehotel I was initially misinformed on how to pay for the consumption there. Now they want me to notify them of the definite number of diners two weeks in advance and to pay on behalf of the whole group. To streamline the payment procedure I suggest that each participant pay € 59.50 into my ABN-AMRO account no. 50.01.55.909 (BIC: ABNANL2A / IBAN: NL77ABNA0500155909) not later than 1st June, 2010.
Please adhere to the following schedule:
- Indicate your definite interest not later than 20th May, 2010.
- Make your payment not later than 1st June, 2010.
See menu: http://picasaweb.google.com/a.stufkens/PowwowRotterdam2010#5450366788241375266