French to English: Hotel Christophe Colomb General field: Marketing Detailed field: Tourism & Travel
Source text - French Situé en plein coeur de la ville de Calvi, face à la mer et à la citadelle, L'Hôtel de charme Christophe Colomb a été entièrement rénové dans un style authentique et moderne.
A proximité du port, de la gare, de la plage et des boutiques, il vous propose ses 25 chambres insonorisées et climatisées, sa salle de restaurant et son bar vous accueillerons ainsi que sa terrasse extérieure sur un terrain de jeu de boule, face à la mer.
Accueil de groupes en demi-pension.
Parking motos privé.
Parkings voitures publics en face de l'hôtel.
Translation - English Located in the heart of the town of Calvi, facing the sea and the citadel, the charming Hotel Christophe Colomb has been completely renovated in a modern yet authentic style.
Close to the port, train station, beach and shops, the hotel offers 25 air-conditioned and sound-proofed rooms. A warm welcome awaits in the restaurant and bar, which also boasts an outdoor terrace by a boules pitch, opposite the sea.
Half-board option for groups.
Private parking for motorbikes.
Public car park opposite the hotel.
French to English: 'Les Charmes Discrets de la Vie Conjugale' Douglas Kennedy General field: Art/Literary Detailed field: Poetry & Literature
Source text - French Ne vous méprenez pas: j'adorais mon pére, et c'est encore le cas, et ça le sera toujours. Mais enfin, quand on a dix-huit ans, comme moi, en 1969, que l'on essaie désespérement de se forger un minimum d'identité et que son cher papa s'est transformé en une manière de Thomas Paine local, il est facile de se sentir éclipsée. Et, en fait, c'est ce qui m'est arrivé.
Translation - English Don't get me wrong: I adored my father, still do and always will. But in the end, when you are 18 years old, as I was, in 1969, you try desperately to create some sort of identity. And when your father has transformed himself into some sort of local Thomas Paine, it is easy to feel totally eclipsed. And, in fact, that is what happened to me.
French to English: Fiadone General field: Other Detailed field: Cooking / Culinary
Source text - French Pour 500g de brocciu frais, 6 oeufs, 300g de sucre et un peu de citron râpé ou un verre à liqueur d´eau de vie.
Le plus connu et le plus apprécié des desserts corses.
Battez les oeufs, et ajoutez-y le brocciu passé à la moulinette, le sucre, l´eau de vie ou le citron. Mélangez bien. Huilez légèrement un plat à tarte à bords assez hauts, versez le mélange et faites cuire à four doux. La cuisson durera 3/4 d´heure environ.
Pour rendre ce fiadone plus léger, séparez les blancs d´oeufs des jaunes et battez-les en neige avant de mélanger le tout.
Translation - English 500g fresh Brocciu cheese, 6 eggs, 300g sugar and either a pinch of grated lemon zest or a liqueur glass of eau-de-vie.
This is the most well-known and much-loved of the Corsican desserts.
Pass the brocciu cheese through a sieve. Beat the eggs and add the brocciu, sugar, eau-de-vie or lemon zest. Mix well. Lightly grease a deep-sided flan tin, pour in the mixture and cook in a low-heat oven for approximately 45 minutes.
For a lighter version, separate the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff, before folding into the mixture.
Years of translation experience: 17. Registered at ProZ.com: Jan 2010.
I am a graduate in Publishing and English Literature, with 12 years’ corporate business experience working in the media and entertainment industry in London. I have since relocated to Corsica, France, where I have spent the past 9 years working in tourism. I am now seeking freelance translation, proofreading and copy-editing work.
• Language and communication – I am a native British English speaker and speak French, having studied in the past and having lived there permanently for the past 9 years. I have done a variety of translation work and have also taught English as a Foreign Language. My degree gave me solid foundations in writing, proofreading and editing, and my subsequent career in the media involved public relations and writing press releases, biographies and so forth. Having now worked in tourism for several years, I am used to communicating with people of various nationalities and from all walks of life.
• Translation work - I have done a variety of translation work from French to English and English to French, including letters, certificates, wills, and other documents and text books. Much of my translation work has been tourism-related, such as regional guides, rental property descriptions, instructions for guests, restaurant menus and so forth. You can see an example of my work at http://www.corsicanholidays.com , a website I co-designed and for which I wrote the text in both English and French.
• Professionalism – I am reliable, thorough, self-motivated and used to working to strict deadlines. I am also enthusiastic and take pride in my work.
• Computing – I have extensive experience of using computers, including MS Word, Excel, the internet, email and Skype. As mentioned previously, I have also designed and written a bilingual website in French and English.
• Interests - I love cooking, sailing, books, literature, music, comedy, languages and travelling.