I am a freelance translator with an academic and professional background in Information Technology and engineering.
As a freelancer, I have translated texts on pedagogy, technology magazine, and tourism.
I am capable and competent in translating IT, engineering, and other scientific content.
Translation Language Pair:
1. English > Malay
2. Malay > English
1. Malay - Native Speaker
2. English – formal primary/secondary school education; graduated with degree from college in the USA; English as main language at work.
3. Arabic – moderate understanding; secondary school education; attended night classes at a local university; understand simpler words in the Quran.________________________________________
2009- 2010 Diploma in Professional Translation by Malaysian Translators Association – Dewan Bahasa Pustaka, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1991 – 1994 Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering from California State University, Sacramento, USA.
1999 (Information Technology)
CUE - Certified Unicenter Engineer (Computer Associates)
2005 (Information Technology)
CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Profesional
2010 Member, Malaysian Translators Assocation
2013 Member, American Translators Assocation
I have a 10-year experience in translating various documents from English > Malay and vice-versa.
Experience in Information Technology Text
• Source text on IT security policy for a multinational company
• Target audience: Company staff
• Policies on password, encryption standard, incident escalation etc.
• 40,000 words in XML and pdf files
Experience in Engineering
• Source text on construction site safety and health practise
• Target audience: Electrical/Civil engineers and general workers
• Policies and software localization.
• 26,000 words in MS Excel file.
Experience in Pedagogy Text
• Source document provided by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)
• Target audience: primary and secondary teachers
• Emphasis on teaching children with special needs.
• Teaching aide in forms of booklets
• 33,000 words
Experience in Technology Text
• Source document was a copyrighted technical educational series
• Target audience: public
• Subject: Evolution of digital technology
• 5000 words
Experience in Tourism Text
• Source is content of a website to book international hotels online
• Target audience: public
• Subject: Advertisement
• 10,000 words per week (in progress)
Experience in Transliteration
• Source text was classical Malay written in Arabic script; target was Romanized Malay
• Target audience: study circle
• A book of 40 pages, and a few leaflets
I have also written unpublished translation from Malay > English and Arabic > English on Islamic texts and poems.
• MemoQ 8.4, SDL Trados Studio 2011, XTM
• Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Project
• Adobe Acrobat
• Internet Media such as Blogspot and Word Press
OTHER FIELDS OF EXPERTISE
I have 16-year experience in working for a local Information Technology (IT) vendor who does Systems Integration works for medium to large clients (including the government). I specialize in Computer Associates software, where I do the following:
• Design an Information Technology model to suite the client’s needs
• Write business proposal
• Get involved in the sales cycle including making business presentations
• Implement (install, configure, and customize) the software
• Write user and administrator’s manual
• Provide technical support to the client (phone and on-site)
I also have experience in transliterating old Malay>modern Malay texts. For the benefit of a study circle, I have copied a few classical Islamic Jawi texts into the equivalent Latin alphabets (total 40+ pages).