2250 Clarendon Blvd # 1927
Arlington, Virginia 22201
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Nominated by the CAMPUS WATCH project of the Middle East Forum as one of the most thoughtful and balanced scholars among the Middle East Studies faculties in North America.
• Highly motivated media professional; energetic, creative self-starter with excellent journalistic and organizational skills.
• Committed to the highest levels of professional and personal excellence, with great interpersonal and communications skills.
• Excellent news and features editor and writer in Arabic, French and English.
• Experienced in executive decision-making, policy direction, strategic planning and personnel management.
• Experienced in content leveraging, online operations and multimedia integration.
• In-depth understanding of the target audience
• Frequent world traveler with deep understanding of world cultures.
• Well versed in the cultures, politics and social issues of the Arab world as well as the cultural, political, social and economic issues of the United States.
• In-depth understanding of the target audience, with a finger on the pulse of women and the younger generation of the region.
• Frequent traveler to the Middle East and North Africa, with an acute sense of the uniqueness of each country and its people.
• Fully understand the uniqueness of, and opportunities available to media directed to the Middle East and North Africa.
• Considered media and U.S. foreign policy expert by the Arabic media; appeared on several Arabic TV channels and interviewed by pan-Arab and local newspapers and magazines in the region.
• Fluency in English, French and Arabic
• Experience in HTML programming in Arabic, with ability to update Arabic language websites using the current method of Microsoft Windows with Arabic-enabled software
• Ability to size and place photos on the Arabic web pages using appropriate software
• Ability to size the site properly for viewing by Arabic language Middle Eastern browse
• Technical knowledge to conduct web casts, web chat programs, and podcasts in Arabic
• Experience in web development
• 2007-2008: Full-time professor of Arabic Program at the University of Maryland , College Park (UMCP)
• 2007- 2008: Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University, School of Continuing Studies. Duties included customizing text books and teaching classes on Contemporary Islam, Cultural Globalization, & learning Arabic through art and culture. http://www12.georgetown.edu/scs/ccpe/
• 1995-1997 Arabic and French at Berlitz School in DC: www.berlitz.us
• 1993-1995 Arabic and French language at DLS school in Arlington, VA.
TV and Radio
• 2004-2006: producer of TV documentary Series on American culture vis-a-vis the Arabicone.
• 2001-2002: Syrian Satellite Channel, Washington DC
• 2000-2002: Syrian Satellite Channel, Washington DC
Wrote, hosted and Produced “Transatlantic”, a weekly political show based in Washington DC.
• 1990: Radio Monte Carlo, Paris
Wrote a program on Arabic culture and art for Monte Carlo Radio in Paris.
• 1988-1990: Syrian Television, Channel 2
Wrote, translated, and presented “Panorama”, a TV documentary on the Arab civilization in Alandalus.
• 1987: Syrian Television, Channel 1
Wrote a daily “Late Show”on poetry.
THE MENA BUSINESSWOMEN’S NETWORK
SENIOR MEDIA ADVISER & EDITOR
• Wrote a daily “Late Show”on poetry.Supervise and oversaw the development and launching of the first portal of MENA Businesswomen’s Network in three languages: Arabic, French and English. www.menabwn.org
• Working as the English, Arabic and French writer and editor of weekly feature stories and articles, supervising the content in three languages and coordinate with the editorial staff.
• Working with editors, translators, designers, graphic artists and advertisers to produce the premier launching of the portal.
• Assisting in the day-to-day maintenance and operation of the Arabic site and its transition to an Arabic version , assuring that all web pages comply with appropriate policies, guidelines, and standards.
• Developed a daily news section, where worldwide business news and reviews of issues are weekly updated.
• Monitoring web activities to maintain statistical records on web visits and audience profile, compile analyses and statistical reports for senior management; conduct any database maintenance necessary to support reporting requirements
• Reviewing external links regularly to ascertain and ensure validity; testing new and updated web pages for coding and linkage errors prior to submission
• Administering electronic mailing lists, and preparing and delivering email messages to list subscribers
• Incorporating new software and technologies into the web site – such as video streaming and podcasts – to enhance the site and ensure that Arabic language website can be viewed correctly across browser platforms.
THE MAGAZINE GROUP, WASHINGTON, DC - USA
• Conceived and developed the concept of this cultural and lifestyle monthly magazine geared toward 18- to 35-year-old readers
• Managed day-to-day content and production flow between different departments.
• Supervise and collaborate with design and layout team to produce top quality product including approving photos, graphics and final covers.
• Conducted the final edit of all content to make sure the magazine has the right voice and meets the standards and style required.
• Arranged and published exclusive interviews and feature stories of international stars, actors, athletics and famous personalities.
• Developed the magazine to become a major agenda-setter of cultural and social issues in the region through publishing investigative features and exposés that paved the way for exploration and coverage by local and regional media.
• Made the magazine content so relevant, useful and informative to the region that 75% of its content ends up republished in the region's newspapers, magazines and websites.
• Developed the magazine to become a monthly source of ideas for media outlets in the region.
• Built a vibrant interactive process where readers and users move fluidly between the print version of the magazine and the website.
• Made the readers part of the editorial process by integrating their questions and comments into the content development process for the magazine.
• Developed the Himag.com website to become a major source of information about the United States and American issues.
• Developed a daily news section for Himag.com, where news and reviews of issues are updated daily and weekly.
PUBLICATIONS AND INTERVIEWS
• Five publications of poetry, and her most recent volume of poetry “O” was published by “Waref Publishing House” in DC. She worldwide conducted her poetry reading, and has the privilege of reciting her poems at:
Russian Cultural Center, Beirut
United Nations’ Arab Club, New York
Alif Gallery, Washington DC
Russian Cultural Center, Damascus
Arab Cultural Center, Damascus
University of Amman, Amman
• Writings published in several Arabic and English newspapers and magazines, including pan-Arabic newspapers as: Almustaqbal, Beirut . Alkuds Alarabi, London. Sabah Elkheir, Beirut. Aljadid, California. Alkhaleej, U.A.E. Aldustur, Amman. Shahrazad, Cyprus. Almawkif Aladabi, Damascus. Hewar AlArab, Beirut
Gathering of Tribes, New York. Alsada, UAE. Araamnews.com, London. Arab thought, Beirut. Modern discussion, Germany. Asaafat.com, Newzeland . Elaph.com, London. Aaramnews.com,
• Interviewed by numerous major media outlets, such as CNN., ART TV, Syrian TV, Saudi TV.
Working as a Researcher & Consultant in Arabic linguist & Islamic Culture with:
• The Corporate Ambassadors Program, www.menabwn.org, a new strategy designed by the U.S. State Department’s Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) and the Vital Voices Global Partnership, to develop women’s entrepreneurship overseas by connecting high-level female executives from the United States with emerging businesswomen leaders from other countries.
• University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP) School of Languages, Literatures, & cultures www.languages.umd.edu, and currently leading the researchers and writer’s team to develop the “Undergraduate Flagship Arabic Learning Program”.
• Regis Learning Solutions (RLS), www.regislearning.com. Developing an advanced simulation project to address the cultural differences among the peoples of Iraq, the cultural anthropology, and the social traditions & behaviors.
• Applied Media Analysis, Inc. www.appliedmediaanalysis.com. Supervising “Optical Character Recognition (OCR), a project aims to develop computer software designed to translate images of typewritten text into machine-editable text. She also provided a desktop and mobile vision solution for a variety of vertical and consumer markets that include healthcare, defense and private industry.
TRAINING AND WORKSHOPS
• Conducted several seminars on cultural and political issues of the Arab world.. The latest was in Morocco , Al mahdia, 7-16 July 2009, Summer University of Minbar Al Hurryyia
• Conducted scores of media training sessions and workshops for new graduates, interns and media professionals, both in the U.S and around the Arab world. The latest was at Atlas Think tank in Washington DC : Atlas International Thursday June 18th
• Conducted scores of workshops on interviewing techniques, news and feature writing investigative reporting, editing, fact checking and accurate reporting.
• Trained editors and editorial staff on media management for both print and online.
• Conducted several workshops on how to deal with the media for civic community leaders.
• Founder and President of Al Waref Insitute for Humanitarian Studies based in Washington DC: www.alwaref.org
• Member of American Translator Association www.atanet.org
• Member of Friends of Saudi Arabia in USA www.fsaus.org
• Member of Arab Union Writer www.awu-dam.org
• La Sorbonne
One year study for a Ph.D. in Comparative Literature.
• University of Strasbourg
Diploma in Arabic and Islamic Civilization studies.
• Damascus University
Bachelor of Arts, Department of Languages and French Literature.
References available upon request.