Born in the UK to Portuguese parents, I moved to Portugal at age 12 and continued education in the British schooling system to the age of 15 (GCSE level).
My difficulty in asserting a native tongue stems from this upbringing, Portuguese at home, English in academia. I believe that I have both sets of languages deeply ingrained in my thought processes. Portuguese and English are both "mother tongues".
From the age of 16 I continued education in Portuguese, having gone on to complete a Degree in Biochemistry, with lab research experience, which I believe gives me a solid scientific background, with especial competence in the biological sciences.
Having completed my degree, I worked in Management Consultancy (McKinsey & Co.), allowing for my familiarization with business and management themes, and affording my first opportunities to work as an "interpreter", within a business environment.
I left McKinsey to seek new challenges and encouraged by a need to make a more immediate contribution to society. In March 2007, I joined the Clinton Foundation, in Mozambique. In the capital, Maputo, I had the opportunity to work within the International Development community and hand-in-hand with local governance. I gained extensive experience in Public Health, HIV, Procuring and Logistics and International Cooperation, having penned international agreements and contracts in both English and Portuguese, involving diverse themes and multiple stakeholders.
Back in Portugal, I am currently studying Medicine (4th year of 6), which, whilst complementary to my earlier studies in Biochemistry, has allowed me to improve my knowledge not only of human biology, but also of areas such as Psychology, Sociology as well as the of the entire diagnostic and therapeutic spectrum inherent to the medical practice.
My work as a translator and interpreter allows me to complement my academic obligations with a source of income which is satisfying to me in professional terms.
As a translator
I believe my most important attributes as a translator are:
- Bilingual: British with Portuguese parents.
- Empathy: When translating, I prefer to understand and then translate.
- Professionalism: My professional experiences have focused me on producing high-quality work, down to the smallest details.
- Speed: Flexible timetable means I can organize myself to concentrate on a particular project.
- Specialty knowledge: Especially at home within science, with peaks in biology and medicine. My professional experience has given me proficiency in themes of Management, Business, Public Health and International Development.
- Adaptability: I believe myself able to quickly absorb and put to use new concepts and lexicons.
- Breadth of experience: with translation work-experience in areas such Science, Business, Sport, Marketing, Culture, I have a particular fondness for translation in more creative fields, be it in literature, promotional work or advertising, where my sensibility for both English and Portuguese, and understanding of both cultures, are put to greatest use.