Over ten years translation experience, and over 20 years total bilingual work experience
I have been a freelance French to English translator on an exclusively full-time basis since 2009, and from 2000-2009 in combination with other positions, and prior to that time (before my freelance translating career), held full-time positions in bilingual customer service (including interpreting for three-way calls between technical service/accounting, the client, and myself), import-export, logistics, transportation (air, ocean, rail and truck), sales, marketing, and financial operations. My main corporate experience was for a scientific company with an extensive catalog of chemical, biological, and other scientific products.
My primary areas of expertise include: legal, restaurant advertisements, small business advertisements, financial, MSDS, shipping, marketing, economics, technical, import-export, transportation, chemical, biological, medical report, medical device, personal, engineering, boating, surveys, personal, and more. However, I am not limited to these categories. I have translated many projects involving contracts and corporate by-laws.
I can typically translate at least 2,500 words per day but have handled as much as 10,000 words per day for ultra rush projects.
Software: Microsoft Office 2013, Wordfast Pro 5.1, SDL Trados
EDUCATION B.A., Economics, Minor: French (“Applied Translation Track”), International Business Certificate, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 1990
On-line U.S. Export Regulation course with an emphasis on "U.S. export licensing, export clearance responsibilities and procedures, and freight forwarder export compliance issues." Certification, Gistnet.com, Manhattan Beach, CA 2003
Successful completion of the following legal courses through the Kaplan University on-line program: Civil Litigation I and II, Legal Ethics, Family Law and Contracts, 2004-2005
Significant company experience:
Sigma Chemical Company, St. Louis, Missouri, December 1991 to May 2000
Bilingual Export/Customer Service Representative
• Acted as the company’s bilingual English-French representative, a call-center customer service representative, an export documentation clerk, and an export area traffic consolidator utilizing SAP during my 8 ½ year employment term.
• Bilingual telephone work included order entry/customer service exclusively in French or three-way interpreting conversations between client, technical service or accounting (mainly with customers in Quebec) and myself as well as contact with French subsidiary and other direct Francophone customers in various Francophone countries.
• Heavy emphasis on export documentation including: airwaybills, dangerous goods declarations, shippers’ export declarations, proforma invoices, shippers’ letters of instructions, export licenses, certificates of origin (including NAFTA) and more.
• Chief accomplishment was the maintenance of animal health certificates in English and French to comply with French Ministère de l’Agriculture import guidelines. Involved frequent interaction with French affiliate, USDA, internal technical specialists, and the purchasing and legal departments. Required very high attention to detail.
Société Générale Bank, St-Etienne, France, Summer 1990 (Summer internship)
• Processed travelers’ cheques and related correspondence at the front counter of the international department, assisted customers with related questions, and assisted in communications with North American Banks.