Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
Chinese to English: Information Video for Airport Access MRT System Project, Taoyuan International Airport Construction of the General field: Tech/Engineering Detailed field: Advertising / Public Relations
Source text - Chinese 臺灣桃園國際機場聯外捷運系統建設計畫機場捷運施工簡介影片
Translation - English Information Video for Airport Access MRT System Project, Taoyuan International Airport Construction
（2009 Progress Report）
In 2003, the Bureau of High Speed Rail, Ministry of Transportation and Communication began planning an airport access MRT link for Taiwan's Taoyuan International Airport. The aim was to create a more efficient link between the domestic and international transport systems. This is Taiwan's first airport metro link project, and on completion it is expected to ease traffic congestion and become part of a comprehensive mass rapid transit system. It will not only open a door to the world, but also facilitate the economic development of the townships through which the metro link passes.
Construction commenced in February 2007. The main focus was the laying of underground and elevated track, and constructing two maintenance depots and the power supply system.
The technology required for the underground sections include: shield tunneling, cut-and-cover tunneling and construction of underground stations; as for the elevated sections, this would include pilings, foundations, pillars and construction of the superstructure.
The total length of the airport access MRT link is 51.03km. It passes through Taipei City and many townships in Taipei and Taoyuan counties. It has 10.92km of underground track and 40.11km of elevated track. A total of 22 stations have been planned, of which 15 are elevated and 7 are underground. There are two maintenance depots, located at Luzhu and Qingpu.
Elevated track accounts for 80 percent of the total route length. The remaining 20 percent is underground. The route passes through the airport, urban districts, fields and steeply slopping water conservation areas. This wide variety of terrain and geological environments presents great challenges for the engineers working on this project.
Design and construction of the 3.97km section between Taipei Main Station and Sanchong is the responsibility of the Department of Rapid Transport Systems of the Taipei City Government. On completion of construction work, the Bureau of High Speed Rail will take charge of subsequent work, including laying track, installing the power system and for overall testing.
Learn more about additional services I can provide my clients
Learn more about the business side of freelancing
Stay up to date on what is happening in the language industry
Help or teach others with what I have learned over the years
Buy or learn new work-related software
I have worked for over 20 years as a copy editor, features writer, journalist, and translator. Much of my experience was acquired over nearly 15 years at the English-language newspaper Taipei Times where I worked in a Chinese/English bilingual environment. For many years I was head of the newspaper's translation section, focusing of op/ed, political, financial and social issues. I also worked as a features writer, and have extensive experience in cultural fields including travel/tourism and lifestyle. This is in addition to a solid foundation for all kinds of translation from Chinese to English.
Keywords: tourism, travel, folklore and culture, Taiwan issues, food and beverage (F&B), literature