MATILDE (CHARO) TOLEDO
PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR AND INTERPRETER
Experienced professional writer with over 15 years of experience in translating, interpreting and adapting from English to Spanish and vice versa, a wide range of documents, from copywriting promotions, newspaper articles, short stories and television half hour sitcoms, to 1 hour daytime soaps, plays and screenplays. Creative thinker with strong capacity for leading/collaborating with diverse teams. Talent for identifying and implementing methods/processes that improve efficiency and accuracy. Fluent in spoken and written Spanish, French, and English.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
• UCLA School of Translation – 2001
• American Conservatory Theater – MFA 1994
• Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA – BA Major Sociology and Anthropology, Minor in Languages 1986
Development Creative Professional/Writer/Producer 1996-Present
GALAN ENTERTAINMENT/NBC TELEVISION/USA NETWORK
• Translated and Adapted 140 Episodes of “El Cuerpo del Deseo,” a Spanish telenovela (soap) into 40 one-hour episodes, for NBC titled “Body of Desire.”
• Translated and Adapted 180 Episodes of the telenovela “Pasion de Gavilanes” into 40 one-hour shows for USA Network titled “The Brothers.”
• Responsible for translating the material from Spanish to English, writing the bible of the shows, creating new storylines and characters to make the telenovelas more accessible to contemporary American audiences.
• Collaborated with the executive producer, studio executives and staff writers to develop the first ten episodes of “Body of Desire.”
• Headed pitching and story breakdown meetings, gave notes to the writers and wrote the pilot for “Body of Desire.”
• Conceived and wrote long format document of story projections for each of the main characters for ABC’s Emmy Award winning soaps “One Life to Live” and “Port Charles.”
• As an integral member of the writing staff, pitched and exchanged ideas, structured story lines, provided dialogue, and defined characters.
• Collaborated with senior writers and studio executives to ensure creative, timely release of scripts.
• Developed and created a new daytime soap “Pretend.”
INTO ACTION FILMS
• Conceived and developed original characters and story lines for the features “Lip Service” (currently in pre production) and “East Side Story.” **
• Worked closely with the Director and implemented his notes in a timely and professional manner.
• Directly involved in casting decisions.
• Responsible for overseeing the film crew and giving notes to actors and crew throughout filming.
• Oversaw rough cuts of the film and gave editing notes.
• Worked efficiently and collected in a high pressured environment consistently meeting tight deadlines.
• Traveled around the nation to various Film Festivals to present and promote East Side Story.
• Adapted, translated and wrote substantial portion of scripts for sitcoms "Solo en America" and "Viva Vegas."
• Maintained a high degree of accuracy in all translations and interpretations for “Solo en America” a Spanish sit com based on “One Day at a Time.”
• Suggested new production ideas such as fully rehearsing Spanish actors individually, resulting in less wasted time, money, and energy.
• Contributed to production of higher-quality shows by suggesting improved scene staging.
• Participated in production meetings, suggesting imaginative and cost-effective ways to produce sophisticated scenes under budget.
• Worked closely with studio and network executives as well as with directors, throughout production.
• Co-created in Spanish the telenovela “The Guilt” (“La Culpa”) alongside Mexican writer Nora Aleman.
• Wrote and translated 80 one-hour episodes of “The Guilt” and 50 of “Forever” (“Para Siempre.”)
• Translated material into English ensuring culturally accurate content.
• Created American characters utilizing qualities and quirks of Mexican ones while ensuring to correctly reflect American culture.
• Traveled to Mexico once a month to collaborate with writers, producers and directors. Also made script changes via Internet and conference calls.
• “La Culpa” and “Para Siempre” aired in Latin America to all time high ratings. The American versions played successfully in local Fox affiliates in the United States and several stations across Europe.
talk2TYPE, Sherman Oaks, CA
• Wrote and translated marketing brochures and materials, sales aids as well as conceived of several promotions to attract clients.
• Transcribed and translated from Spanish to English and vice versa, television shows, interviews and DVD commentaries. Clients included, Endemol Entertainment, America’s Top Model, Towers Productions, HBO, Oliver Stones’ documentary on Cuba, The Martha Stewart Show, and America’s Funniest Videos among others.
“Daily Variety” Interviewed Anne Sweeney and America Ferrara July 2007. “El Nuevo Dia: Por Dentro,” San Juan, P.R. Interviewed Latino celebrities for Sunday cover story every couple of months from 1997 to 2002 such as Benicio del Toro, Ricky Martin, Chayanne, Esai Morales, Oscar de la Hoya. Performed research, copyediting, and fact checking. Translated popular US news stories into Spanish. Identified and suggested themes / topics for writing assignments.
Writers Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, American Federations of Television and Radio Artists, Step Up Women’s Network.
EMMY 2003 Cris Franco Show KCET PBS.
** Audience Favorite 2006 Intl. Latino FF, San Francisco, Festival Favorite 2006 Philadelphia GL FF, Best Director 2006 Reel Affirmations Washington DC GL FF, Audience Award Winner 2006 San Francisco Intl. Latino FF, Audience Award Winner 2006 Long Island GL FF.East
Proficient with Windows and Mac; Quicken, Microsoft Word, Excel, Final Draft and Internet.
Fluent in spoken and written Spanish, English and French.