Helena Ellinor Sjostedt-Ware
6809 Sorrell Street, McLean VA 22101, USA.
Cell phone: 703-541-8570
An experienced interpreter/translator and a fully qualified teacher of English, French and German. A Swedish national, with Swedish and English to mother tongue standard, and fluent German and Dutch. Lived and worked in the UK, Netherlands, Russia, Belgium and USA over a 25 year period. Built up a thorough knowledge and understanding of many European languages, and an excellent track record in translation.
1991 - Current: Freelance Translation (Self-Employed),
Since moving to the USA in 2006, my workload has steadily increased. For the last three years I have translated over 500,000 words per year, for a large number of agencies, on a very wide range of subjects, including (but not limited to) computing, legal/contracts, manuals/instructions, financial and general texts. Agencies I have worked for include Verbatim, Wolfestone, Translate Media, Translation Services USA, and One Hour Translations. A brief list of recent translations is attached. All of these translations have been completed in the last two years:
English/Swedish (approx. 200k words/year – main areas of expertise include medical/ dental, social sciences, technology, travel and leisure).
- “Leoplus – a consultation process” on educational practices within the EU. (32k words)
- Business/Marketing presentation – carried out on behalf of Ruukku: a Finnish heavy engineering company (20+ slide PowerPoint presentation)
- “Nike – Code of Ethics” – internal company documentation (8k words)
- Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva – a parent’s guide/medical text. (80k words)
- Translation of Operating Instructions/Manuals for LG, Dell, Apple (15k words)
- Medical/Orthodontic translations, covering medical diagnostics, tools and procedures (20k words).
Many additional smaller translations of a general/business, technical, travel/tourism or legal nature
Swedish/English (approx 150k words/year - main areas of expertise include medical/dental, social sciences, business, travel and leisure)
- Audio transcription of medical interviews with patients undergoing treatment for particular diseases (“Project Archery”) (6+ hours)
- Translations for the Swedish Forestry Board, in connection with Wind Farm Installations (100k words)
- Translation of a significant number of texts of a general/business, including HR/retention management (50k) and legal nature, including work for the Swedish Tourist Board.
German/Swedish (approx. 75k words/year – general and engineering subject matter)
- Translation of assorted texts, mainly of a general, technical or legal nature
German/English (approx. 40k words/year – general and engineering)
- Translation of German Technical standard (DIN) on civil engineering (14k words)
Danish/English (approx 20k words/year – general/technical manuals)
- Translation of Technical manuals for TDC, a Danish Telecoms firm (100,000+ words)
Dutch/English (approx 20k words/year)
- Translation of assorted texts, mainly of a marketing or legal nature
1988 - 1991: Language Teacher
Upton Grammar School, Slough, England.
Burlington Danes School, White City, London, UK
Beechwood Road School, Slough, Berkshire, UK
Teacher of French and German to UK "A level" standard (13 - 18 years), Deputy Head of Year.
General teaching duties. Responsibility for design and structure of lessons. Development of Languages Department and syllabus, including production of new material. Introduction of new National Examination system.
1987 - 1988: Receptionist/Administrative Assistant.
Swedish Embassy, London, England.
Receptionist and telephonist duties. Liaison with public and private bodies in Sweden and Europe, including cultural and diplomatic sections.
Pre - 1987: Teacher of English as a Foreign Language
Language Centre of Guildford, England
Crawley Language School, England
Qualifications: Master of Arts, Teaching of English, German and History. University of Gothenburg, Sweden, 1981 – 1987.
(Recognized in both the UK and the Netherlands as a valid Teaching qualification).
French Ground Course, University College Karlstad, Sweden, 1985.
Swedish (Mother Tongue)
English (Mother Tongue)
Interests: Literature, History, Gardening, Travel.