English to Spanish
Spanish to English
| Marjory Hord |
Cuenta conmigo/ Count on me
Local time: 04:54 CDT (GMT-5)
M.A. in Applied Linguistics
| Freelancer |
| This person has a SecurePRO™ card. Because this person is not a ProZ.com Plus subscriber, to view his or her SecurePRO™ card you must be a ProZ.com Business member or Plus subscriber. |
|Also works in:|
|Education / Pedagogy||General / Conversation / Greetings / Letters|
|Linguistics||Medical: Health Care|
|Transport / Transportation / Shipping|
| PRO-level points: 231, Questions answered: 209, Questions asked: 150 |
| electronic engineering/ laser cutter, finance, legal terms, psychology |
|Years of translation experience: 29. Registered at ProZ.com: Aug 2008.|
|Spanish to English (MA-ESL-UDLAP-Mexico)|
Spanish to English (MA-ESL UDLAP Mexico)
English to Spanish (BA in Universidad de las Americas, Mexico)
English to Spanish (MA in ESL, Universidad de las Americas, Mexico)
|KINGDOM: Global Network of Christian Translators and Interpreters|
|Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Powerpoint|
|CV available upon request|
| The difference between proofreading and editing [download] |
I. Life experience:
• Raised in Honduras of Canadian parents (simultaneous bilingual)
• Studied, worked, and lived, and worked in Mexico continuously as of 1970
• Married a Mexican (Dominant home language: Spanish)
• Founded La Leche League chapter in the city of Puebla in 1985. I have led monthly meetings, written articles, been interviewed on TV and radio, written reports and articles (in Spanish).
II. Teaching experience
• Teacher of English and Linguistics since 1978 (résumé available upon request)
• Teacher of translation 2002-2008 (English-Spanish/Spanish-English) at Universidad de las Américas Puebla (Work with a wide variety of topics and genres, from sports to movie scripts to short stories)
• Presentation at Translators’ Conference: “Don’t Waste Your Time or Mine! Showing Students the Disadvantages of Online Translation”. Jornadas Jeronimianas Internacionales en torno a la traducción, Universidad Veracruzana de Xalapa, Ver. (Mexico) Oct. 2004.
A. Spanish to English:
-A web page for an important port city, financial report for an important European company, a legal contract, etc.
• Translation and editing of a children’s book on values
• Projects for Colegio de Puebla (education, presentation at UNESCO)
• Translation for SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) and UDLAP (Universidad de las Americas Puebla): education, graduation speeches, reports for SACS on accreditation, course descriptions for Internet page
• Report for WHO by the Mexican Commission on Macroeconomics and Health, Mexico 2004 (Executive Summary).
- Web site for important port
-A workbook for a Christian retreat.
-Regulations for a condominium.
-Letters regarding medical research.
B. English to Spanish:
• A manual on sustainable community development (CRWRC)
An instruction manual for a new malt-processing machine (Cervecería Cuauhtemoc beer company)
• A manual on the creation of transition primers (literacy: Spanish and Native languages) for the Summer Institute of Linguistics
• Various articles for La Leche League (breastfeeding)
• Articles for Christian magazine Alianza (news, Biblical topics, etc.)
• A Proverb a Day radio scripts (Internet site)
Co-translator of a book on breastfeeding by a well-known physician
A theological book on Jewish (O.T.) laws and their significance to Christians
A testimonial book by an Iranian who now lives in Canada.
• Editor of A Proverb a Day radio scripts (Spanish)
* Editor of a Christian magazine, Alianza (Spanish)
• 2008 Presented in Spanish “Responsibilities and Challenges of Editing”
• Editing Workshop with Mundo Hispano publishing company; September 2008 (Mexico City)
• Editing workshop with Macmillan-Heinemann publishing company, 1999.
• Frequent informal interpreting experience (church services, medical missions, workshops on breastfeeding, etc.)
• Have written numerous articles in Spanish (breastfeeding and child rearing, Christian topics, editorials, etc.)
• Numerous articles and stories published in Spanish language Prisma magazine
• Articles (English) in All about Puebla blog (culture, tourism).
|This user has earned KudoZ points by helping other translators with PRO-level terms. Click point total(s) to see term translations provided.|
Keywords: religion, Bible, education, linguistics, breastfeeding, babies, christian, religion, Biblia, educación, lingüìstica, lactancia materna, bebés, cristiana, amamantamiento, literatura, literature, español mexicano, mexican spanish, antropologia, anthropology, editing, correción, ports, puertos, shipping, transport
Profile last updated