Poll: When you have a task that you completely dread, how do you tackle it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
08:10

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you have a task that you completely dread, how do you tackle it?".

View the poll results »



 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
N/A 08:39

It depends on what the task is! Not so long ago, when some days I had more than one translation project, I always started with the one that seemed the most difficult. Other tasks I don’t like, such as bookkeeping, I leave to the experts…

 
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:09
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Freelancing 08:39

Luckily we are freelancers. We don't have to accept anything we truly hate doing.

Christine Andersen
 
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:09
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Break it down and beat it 09:19

I do not accept translation tasks or paid work that I will really dread. I tell the client to find someone else. They can probably find someone who knows how to do it, or knows the subject area better than I do. All good clients respect an honest 'beyond my scope'.

Otherwise, if I can't avoid a task I am dreading, I try to work out a strategy.

Deep breath, why do I dread it? What is the problem, and do I know anyone who could help or give advice? What would they say? Or
... See more
I do not accept translation tasks or paid work that I will really dread. I tell the client to find someone else. They can probably find someone who knows how to do it, or knows the subject area better than I do. All good clients respect an honest 'beyond my scope'.

Otherwise, if I can't avoid a task I am dreading, I try to work out a strategy.

Deep breath, why do I dread it? What is the problem, and do I know anyone who could help or give advice? What would they say? Or how would they tackle it? Am I just afraid of all those people watching me? They're only human!

What is the best way to start? Is there any way to make it easier?
Should I get the worst over first, or is it better to begin from the bottom and take the edge off the biggest issue?

Am I just short of time, and need to get moving?

If you cut a job down to size, you can concentrate on the task and make progress.
▲ Collapse


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you have a task that you completely dread, how do you tackle it?






Draftsmith
Edit Translations Faster With Affordable AI You Can Trust

Draftsmith is an affordable AI editing tool for busy translators. It works directly in Microsoft Word, supporting the way you work ProZ members receive a 20% discount on a single user subscription of Draftsmith.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »