It was just over a year ago that Facebook started localizing itself for the world. The company utilized outsourcing to spur its translation efforts. And though volunteers aren’t the only people translating content, a year later, Facebook has done an impressive job of going global.
Some recently reported key stats from Facebook’s global expansion efforts include:
- 40 percent of Facebook users are not using English.
- More than 70 percent of Facebook users are outside the United States.
- It reaches more than 10 percent of the total national population in 26 countries.
- FaceBook is available in 43 languages and is in the process of being translated into another 60 languages.
- 25,000 volunteers helped translate Facebook into Turkish last year, and there are now 9 million Turkish-language users signed up for Facebook.