MS Excel for translators: useful functions for translators and other tips and tricks (by Attila Piróth)
MS Excel: useful functions for translators and other tips and tricks (by Attila Piróth)
This webinar gives an overview of MS Excel's selected functions that are particularly useful for translators. A careful selection of mathematical, logic, text and search functions as well as alphabetic ordering and other functions are presented with the aim to show that Excel offers diverse features that can help the project manager's or freelance translator's work.
Examples will be shown using Excel 2002 -- the same techniques are readily adaptable to higher versions.
1. MS Excel: basics
• Relative and absolute cell address
• Copying formulas
• Alphabetic ordering
• Some useful mathematical functions
2. MS Excel's logic functions
• Filtering identical cells
• Merging glossary distributions from multiple contributors
3. MS Excel's text functions
• Handling character limitations
• Preparing a translation memory using MS Excel's text functions
4. MS Excel's search functions
• Lookup and automatic filling of cells using a two-column reference database
• Utilization tips
5. Excel to Word and Word to Excel conversion
• Glossary management
• Remedy for the line-break problem (Word to Excel conversion)
6. Preparing an incomplete Excel file for translation
• Separating completed rows from incomplete ones
• Creating a TM from completed cells
• Adding the new parts (translated in Word) and ensuring the correct order of rows
7. Questions and answers
• Overcome the common fear surrounding Excel
• Move between Word and Excel, circumventing the line-break problem
• Understand the utility of cross-referencing in Excel, using relative and absolute addresses
• Appreciate the great variety of tasks that can be solved using Excel's functions
• Get to know some particularly useful logical, text, and lookup functions of Excel, and understand when they should be used
• Use alphabetic ordering to prepare an incomplete Excel file for translation – to create of a TM, separate translated and non-translated parts, change the order of the lines and switching back to the original order after manipulation, etc.
• Understand how to make use of an Excel table that contains legacy translations
The webinar presents file preparation techniques which can be useful for freelance translators and project managers alike. Beginner-level users of Excel will be able to follow the webinar without problems -- but even intermediate-level users are expected to learn a good deal of useful tips. The material covered in the webinar will be made available for attendees, so they can do the exercises for themselves -- after (or during) the session.
Click to expand
Several techniques presented in this webinar are used in conjunction with MS Word's Find and replace function. Some familiarity with Word's F/R function is therefore recommended; all what is needed (and more) is covered in the webinar MS Word: Find and replace features and other tips and tricks.
Registration & payment information
Click to expand
Click on the buy button on the right to purchase your seat
How do I register?
To register in this session please click on the "sign up now" button on the right. Your status will be marked as "registered" and it will indicate only your interest in the training session. Status changes to registered and paid when payment is processed and informed to ProZ.com.
How do I purchase my spot?
To purchase your seat at this session please click on the "buy" button. Available slots are limited and will be assigned to registered and paid participants as soon as payment is reported. Early payment is advised in order to secure participation. Allow some time for payment processing if you are paying by wire transfer.
After your payment is received, your status will be changed to “registered and paid” and your spot for the session will be secured. An invoice and receipt of payment will be sent to you for your records.
Payment in local currency is available in some countries. Please click here to learn more about this option.
How do I access the online platform?
72 hours before the training session takes place, you will receive an invitation to join the session. Please, click the registration link or button provided in the invitation email and complete the registration form.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you use the same contact information - name and email- you entered in your ProZ.com profile to allow identification.
Participants should not delay in making payments to ensure classes are not canceled due to low enrollment. We suggest then you purchase your spot as soon as possible.
Attila Piróth View feedback | View all courses
Comments about this course