C02.1-C.L.A.S. Healthcare Standards
Do you want to earn a new set of skills? Develop a specialty? Start a complementary career? Create a new stream of revenue for your business adding a new service? Find out what you need to become a medical translator and interpreter.
This 180-minute workshop will explain the profession of medical translators and interpreters in the USA. Healthcare interpreters and translators provide language services to healthcare patients with limited English proficiency, helping them to communicate with doctors, nurses, and other emergency room, medical and hospital staff, and convert into the target language the needed forms, brochures and other patient materials issued by hospitals, doctors’ offices and medical facilities.
This introduction will explain the basic elements to enter the growing field of medical interpreting and translation, understand the roles, responsibilities and boundaries, explore the challenges and ethical dilemmas, study specific techniques needed to ensure accuracy, and the concepts, skills and knowledge needed to pursue certification. It will also review the importance of medical terminology, as well as the legal environment created by HIPAA and Executive Order 13166 “Improving access to services for persons with Limited English Proficiency”.
Language Service Providers and/or their freelancers
Bilingual personnel working or aspiring to work in the healthcare industry
Cross-cultural communicators, interculturalists, as well as administrators and clinical/medical personnel who deal with or want to learn about Cultural Diversity in healthcare
\"CLAS\" Bundle 2 of 4
This workshop renders an introduction to the current state of healthcare in the USA and the growing need for translators and interpreters. It describes the requirements to work in the industry. Attendees will be able to decide if medical translation and interpreting is something they would like to pursue and, if so, the next steps to prepare for this growing field.
Fully bilingual, with at least one of the languages being English.
Click to expand
Virtual platform system requirements (click here to expand)
Click to expand
Virtual platform system requirements
For PC-based Users:
• Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP, 2003 Server or 2000 (Linux is not supported)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL, or better recommended
• Recommended: Minimum of Pentium® class 1GHz CPU with 512 MB of RAM (2 GB of RAM for Windows Vista)
For Mac®-based Users:
• Required: Mac OS® X 10.4 (Tiger®), OS X 10.5 (Leopard®), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard®)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL or better recommended
• Required: PowerPC G4/G5 or Intel processor, 512 MB of RAM or better
To Use VoIP (microphone and speakers or headset):
• Required: Fast Internet connection (384 kbps or more recommended)
• Required: speakers or headset (USB headset recommended)
• NOT required: Microphone - attendees can communicate with the trainer through incorporated chat.
• For the visual section of the training course, we recommend that you have a 64kbps link. This means using an ISDN line or Broadband. Wireless connection is NOT recommended.
• For the audio section of the training course, we recommend that you have a headset or speakers.
• We recommend that you log in 30 minutes in advance of the start time to prepare for the training course.
Courses will be open half an hour before the start time. Please login before the start time to ensure that everything on your system is working correctly.
Registration and payment information (click here to expand)
Click to expand
If I register will I be charged automatically?
No. Registering for the course means that you expressed interest in the training only. ProZ.com training session vacancies are limited, and minimum attendee confirmation is required in order for training sessions to be conducted, so be sure to book your seat as soon as possible.
How do I purchase my spot?
To purchase your seat at this session please click on the "buy" button. Available slots are limited and will be assigned to registered and paid participants as soon as payment is reported. Early payment is advised in order to secure participation. Allow some time for payment processing if you are paying by wire transfer.
After your payment is received, your status will be changed to “registered and paid” and your spot for the session will be secured. An invoice and receipt of payment will be sent to you for your records.
How do I access the online platform?
72 hours before the webinar takes place, you will receive an invitation to join the session. Please, click the registration link or button provided in the invitation email and complete the registration form.
Claudia Brauer View feedback | View all courses
Comments about this course
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
This discussion can also be accessed via the ProZ.com forum pages.