T05-Building Non-CAT Glossaries
In 3 hours, you will learn a basic methodology to search for terms, create a glossary, gradually accumulate, increase and perfect it; you will also acquire simple tools to enter and retrieve information, change and update it; you will gain information on what, when, and how to do it.
You will understand the concepts of unidirectional and bidirectional glossaries and their vital role in the world of translation and interpretation; and you will practice creating your personalized template of an electronic and visual bilingual glossary that you may later use online or in print for your own translations and interpretation, or to share with your client’s personnel.
Note for CAT users: This workshop does NOT cover the technical and mechanical aspects of glossaries using CAT tools. It may, however, be useful for the compilation of terms for use with your CAT tools.
Editors and Proofreaders
Language Service Providers and/or their freelancers
Bilingual personnel working or aspiring to work in culturally diverse environments
Terminology Bundle 1 of 4
You will greatly benefit from this workshop if you have struggled to find terms in the target language which you cannot easily find in the specific context you are using; if you have faced doubts when deciding which of the many terms you are finding in the target language is the most appropriate within the context you need it for; if you have had difficulties understanding the concepts of some terms in the source language within the context it is used; if you have experienced difficulties to translate or interpret technical terms that are easily understood in the source language but might not have a clear meaning in your target language; if you have spent considerable time adapting a term to a specific target reading level or cultural environment; if you wish to ensure consistency in the use of certain terms within specified contexts for special clients or situations.
Fully bilingual (in any two language pair).
Access to a Word and/or Excel platform (Microsoft or Mac).
Virtual platform system requirements (click here to expand)
Click to expand
Virtual platform system requirements
For PC-based Users:
• Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP, 2003 Server or 2000 (Linux is not supported)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL, or better recommended
• Recommended: Minimum of Pentium® class 1GHz CPU with 512 MB of RAM (2 GB of RAM for Windows Vista)
For Mac®-based Users:
• Required: Mac OS® X 10.4 (Tiger®), OS X 10.5 (Leopard®), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard®)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL or better recommended
• Required: PowerPC G4/G5 or Intel processor, 512 MB of RAM or better
To Use VoIP (microphone and speakers or headset):
• Required: Fast Internet connection (384 kbps or more recommended)
• Required: speakers or headset (USB headset recommended)
• NOT required: Microphone - attendees can communicate with the trainer through incorporated chat.
• For the visual section of the training course, we recommend that you have a 64kbps link. This means using an ISDN line or Broadband. Wireless connection is NOT recommended.
• For the audio section of the training course, we recommend that you have a headset or speakers.
• We recommend that you log in 30 minutes in advance of the start time to prepare for the training course.
Courses will be open half an hour before the start time. Please login before the start time to ensure that everything on your system is working correctly.
Registration and payment information (click here to expand)
Click to expand
Click on the buy button on the right to purchase your seat
Participation fee includes:
• access to webinar session.
• unlimited access to the webinar recording.
• powerpoint slides to remind participants of the key points and lessons learned.
• certificates of attendance.
If I register will I be charged automatically?
No. Registering for the course means that you expressed interest in the training only. ProZ.com training session vacancies are limited, and minimum attendee confirmation is required in order for training sessions to be conducted, so be sure to book your seat as soon as possible.
How do I purchase my spot?
To purchase your seat at this session please click on the "buy" button. Available slots are limited and will be assigned to registered and paid participants as soon as payment is reported. Early payment is advised in order to secure participation. Allow some time for payment processing if you are paying by wire transfer.
After your payment is received, your status will be changed to “registered and paid” and your spot for the session will be secured. An invoice and receipt of payment will be sent to you for your records.
How do I access the online platform?
72 hours before the webinar takes place, you will receive an invitation to join the session. Please, click the registration link or button provided in the invitation email and complete the registration form.
Claudia Brauer View feedback | View all courses
Comments about this course
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
This discussion can also be accessed via the ProZ.com forum pages.